SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Kamahido

Paladin of Soap
Reaction score

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
You need to use a 0% superfat soap, as your clothes do not need oil left on them. However, you can use whatever oil you like to make the soap. I think most people use 100% CO soap, though. You don't even have to wait for it to cure, just grate it as soon as it does not mash onto the grater, so at least 24 hours.

KristaY

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I make 100% CO with a SF of -1 for laundry. As Susie pointed out, we don't want any oils left in our clothing. I unmold and cut as soon it's done going through gel phase which is about 2 hours. I waited overnight ONCE. I thought I was going to break my knife. I grate it up within 24 hours of the cut then spread it out on lined baking sheets to dry and cure for a few weeks.

So no, you don't want to use just any CP soap. You really need to make the soap specific for laundry (or any household cleaning) use.

Seawolfe

Reaction score
Wasn't there a post here where someone tested 100% lard against 100% coconut (both at 0% SF), and the coconut won out? I'm too tired to look for it, but I think the point was that the lard soap was fine, but the coconut was better. Anyway yeah, grated 0% SF (or lower, don't be afraid to go a little negative), Borax and/or washing soda (I like both). The actual ratios are a topic for endless discussion, play around and see what you like.

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't there a post here where someone tested 100% lard against 100% coconut (both at 0% SF), and the coconut won out? I'm too tired to look for it, but I think the point was that the lard soap was fine, but the coconut was better. Anyway yeah, grated 0% SF (or lower, don't be afraid to go a little negative), Borax and/or washing soda (I like both). The actual ratios are a topic for endless discussion, play around and see what you like.
I remembered that too. Maybe this was the thread.
http://www.soapmakingforum.com/showthread.php?p=583715

Latest posts