Laundry detergent bubbles disapearing

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adil

Reaction score
I am new and would really love to get your advice. I made a laundry detergent from SLES, LABSA, CDA, Soda ash and NaCl. The proportion of LABSa to Soda ash 25 % and SLES to Nacl 0.62 %. The detergent makes good foam at the beginning but doesn't last long. Please assist me. How to to remedy it

Yes. When you wash by hand, first one or two clothes there is foam. Afterwards, it quickly gets absorbed

It could be because you have a lot of minerals in your water. It could also be because your clothes are dirty and the bubbles are doing their job.

So I should soften the water before mixing the ingredients?
Not the water you are using to make the soap, the water that you are using to clean the clothes. And even the 'soft' water when only get you so far if you have dirty clothes because that is part of the purpose of the bubbles, to lift and carry away the dirt.

The detergent makes good foam at the beginning but doesn't last long.
Just because the foam goes flat doesn't mean your detergent isn't doing the job. It's like my bubble bath. Before I get it, the bubbles are copious just like the ads. Once I get in, they slowly disappear. Let the clothes help you judge whether your detergent is cleaning well enough or not.

Adding a water softener like Borax or Calgon (I use the liquid) to the washer at the same time as you add the detergent helps. Follow directions on the box.

Back