Laundry bar help

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
I made a laundry bar soap this morning. I have made this recipe before and it has behaved completely different this time. I decided to add some EO to this batch in an attempt to have a bit of a scent to the laundry powder.

I used the 100% CO 0 % SF recipe posted here on the forum. Last time I made it, it started to volcano in the middle almost immediately so I put it in the freezer. It was ready to cut and grate within about 4 hours. This time I added 2 oz of EO (1 oz lavender, 1 oz lemongrass)

It warmed up but it did not heat up like last time, and the top and edges feel sort of wet and creamy. I originally printed the recipe with 38% water as % of oil, even though my typical soap recipe is 33% lye concentration.

My questions are: could the difference in the way it behaved and the fact that the surfaces are "wet" be the addition of the EO? And can I do this recipe with a 33% lye concentration?

Thank you so much for your help!

I'm thinking that putting it in the freezer may have stopped or severely slowed the saponification process.

One option for next time is to soap cooler. Coconut oil has a fairly low melting temp - 76 degrees. Soap around 85 and that should stop the volcanoing.

"... I originally printed the recipe with 38% water as % of oil, even though my typical soap recipe is 33% lye concentration. ..."

Look at the original recipe in soapee or soapcalc -- see what the equivalent lye concentration actually is for your CO soap with "38% water as % of oils". I suspect you'll find it will be pretty close to 32% lye concentration. That's why you're getting the overheating. To control the heating for this soap, use more water, not less. I'd stick with lye concentration and use 28%.

I'm thinking that putting it in the freezer may have stopped or severely slowed the saponification process.

One option for next time is to soap cooler. Coconut oil has a fairly low melting temp - 76 degrees. Soap around 85 and that should stop the volcanoing.

Thank you dixiedragon, and DeeAnna, I did not have the volcano this time, it was really soft around the edges, I actually would have preferred the start of a volcano because I got a partial gel on it this time. I did finally shred it but it's significantly different than the first time I made it. It's more like regular soap texture, not the almost already dry texture of my first go-round. Which is why I suspect the EO of softening it up. I soaped around 100 this time.

Last edited:
I've had CO soap go both ways. I don't think my use of FOs or EOs has made an obvious difference, but I suppose I don't make this recipe often enough to really know that for certain.

Usually this recipe sets up hard and waxy for me ... and when it does that, it also gets toasty warm when it's saponifying. It's never offered to volcano, but it does sometimes get hot enough to crack a little bit. But I don't care -- it's going to get shredded anyway. :)

The time or two it's been a little too soft to shred easily right away, I realized the soap didn't reach gel temperature -- usually because the house is rather cool.

I've had CO soap go both ways. I don't think my use of FOs or EOs has made an obvious difference, but I suppose I don't make this recipe often enough to really know that for certain.

Usually this recipe sets up hard and waxy for me ... and when it does that, it also gets toasty warm when it's saponifying. It's never offered to volcano, but it does sometimes get hot enough to crack a little bit. But I don't care -- it's going to get shredded anyway. :)

The time or two it's been a little too soft to shred easily right away, I realized the soap didn't reach gel temperature -- usually because the house is rather cool.

Thank you DeeAnna, so just let it go and it should be dry/cured enough at some point? I know it would have gelled if I'd have left it out because I did get a partial gel, I just expected it to start coming up in the center like the first batch. appreciate your help! :)

It will be okay eventually. If the soap is firm enough to cut into smaller chunks, I'd do that. It might firm up a little faster that way. I bet the center is already pretty firm where it warmed up enough to gel. It might be only the outer edges that are not quite ready.

It will be okay eventually. If the soap is firm enough to cut into smaller chunks, I'd do that. It might firm up a little faster that way. I bet the center is already pretty firm where it warmed up enough to gel. It might be only the outer edges that are not quite ready.

Thank you DeeAnna, I shredded it and have it spread out on tea towels, I'm also making another batch this morning without the EO's to see if there is a difference

Latest posts

Back