Laundary Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abrachibi

Reaction score
What gives laundry soap made using red palm oil and white palm kernel oil to have it's golden orange yellow color. Can anyone help please?

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 12
  • images_101.jpg
    images_101.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 12
  • index.jpg
    index.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 12
Yes, what Artemis said. Also, red palm is liquid, unrefined and used for cooking in Africa so I imagine it's more available to you. Here in the USA, we use mostly white palm, which is refined, bleached and used mostly for soap making. I have an African Market near me where I buy red palm oil when I want my soap batch to have that pretty golden shade in your pictures. Both are very kind to the skin. As a bonus, red palm contains a natural SPF to protect the skin from sun damage.

Thank you Artemis and Zany_in_CO. But when I use red palm oil, my soap doesn't gives me that exact golden shades but yellow color like the one in this picture. I was wondering if I can add a orange red color to the soap?

Attachments

• red-palm-oil_soap.png
    red-palm-oil_soap.png
    164.1 KB · Views: 11
I would guess that whatever bar you are trying to match is most likely made with a different amount of red palm than you have tried. It could also have some sort of colorant added to it. In my experience, the color fades over time. If you are aiming for a lighter color, like in the pictures in your first post, I would check them after a couple weeks and see what they look like.

I was wondering if I can add a orange red color to the soap?
If you have some tumeric and paprika in your spice cabinet you can try infusing equal amounts of those into one of your oils. Be sure to strain the residue out before using it or it will make the soap scratchy.

Okay, Thank you all. Let me know your outcome artemis and picture if possible. Though will try some of the suggestions

This may be a silly question, but are the bars above 'laundry' soap? How do you use them?

This may be a silly question, but are the bars above 'laundry' soap? How do you use them?
Aw, dear heart, there are no silly questions. When a Newbie asks, we all learn something we wanted to know but were afraid to ask! ;)
Back in the day, i.e., before the introduction of powdered laundry detergent, they used bar soap and a scrub board to wash clothes. I was born in 1943 and remember my grandma, my mom and my aunts washing clothes that way. I rather imagine that's the way some people of Cameroon (Africa) still do the family wash.

LOL... I'm 2 years younger than you! I remember it from that perspective but found it odd that someone might make it in this day and age. Especially with the high efficiency washers.

But speaking of red palm oil, I made soap today & subbed out some palm for the red palm and the colour is gorgeous!
beeswax honey.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back