Lather Lovers Additive Test Results

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zany_in_CO

Saponifier
Reaction score
Here's a link to a source to learn what to expect from various additives designed to increase lather in bar soap. The pictures show lather results after cure and one year later. Enjoy!

https://www.modernsoapmaking.com/updated-lather-lovers-additive-testing/

LATHER LOVER’S ADDITIVE TESTING SWAP RESULTS
Soap Dish Forum, during the week of January 1st, 2012

25 different additives were tested: Sodium Lactate, Granulated Sugar, Honey, Silk, Rosin, Bentonite Clay, Tetrasodium EDTA, Powdered Goats’ Milk Powder, Aloe Vera Juice, Canned Coconut Milk, Powdered Coconut Milk, Beer, Fresh Goat’s Milk, Canned Evaporated Milk, Powdered Sugar, Kaolin Clay, Cetyl Alcohol, Oat Milk, Yogurt, Sorbitol, Sodium Citrate, Palm Kernel Oil, Kefir, Sodium Citrate & Sorbitol.

Each soapmaker made the control formula with the addition of one additive, the only variable between batches. Each particpant received a bar from every other participant in the swap.

Interesting read... I guess that people should keep the sugar in the bowl from now on.
A lot of people sure do like to add it, don't they. I'm from the Plain Jane school of "less is more". I've never tried sugar to bump the lather ... beer, yes; sugar, not so much. Never felt the need. I think the way to get an awesome lathering soap is to find the right combo of cleansing (lather), conditioning, and hardness from the blend of oils/fats/butters used.

This is a no way a comprehensive list of the conclusions. What I want to try when I am ready to experiment with this is:
Limit superfat to 5%
Honey for silkiness
Aloe for creamy bubbly
Beer for big bubbly
Kaolin clay rather than Bentonite clay
Try Oat milk
Sodium citrate for bubbles and hard water
Try Palm kernel oil if I react to Coconut Oil
Sorbitol increases leather as well as helping transparency

A lot of people sure do like to add it, don't they. I'm from the Plain Jane school of "less is more". I've never tried sugar to bump the lather ... beer, yes; sugar, not so much. Never felt the need. I think the way to get an awesome lathering soap is to find the right combo of cleansing (lather), conditioning, and hardness from the blend of oils/fats/butters used.
I'm with you Zany...although when I was a newbie I tried pretty much everything. Guess that's one of the things that make soap making so addicting.

I'm with you Zany...although when I was a newbie I tried pretty much everything. Guess that's one of the things that make soap making so addicting.
I am not a newbie and some additives make a big enough difference to use them, that I will say my soaps are much better now than when I was a newbie using no additives. There was the time I thought simple was better. Using Chelators and lowering superfat has not only helped slow soap scum it has helped my drains. Using an antioxidant has helps squelch dos in my soaps containing lard and additives such as sorbitol has helped lather without upping CO or PKO, which I keep under 20%. Using vinegar for water replacement or partial water replacement also seems to contribute some to lather but certainly makes a harder soap without the cost of sodium lactate, which I really never have used. Progress can make for better soap :D

I am not a newbie and some additives make a big enough difference to use them, that I will say my soaps are much better now than when I was a newbie using no additives. There was the time I thought simple was better. Using Chelators and lowering superfat has not only helped slow soap scum it has helped my drains. Using an antioxidant has helps squelch dos in my soaps containing lard and additives such as sorbitol has helped lather without upping CO or PKO, which I keep under 20%. Using vinegar for water replacement or partial water replacement also seems to contribute some to lather but certainly makes a harder soap without the cost of sodium lactate, which I really never have used. Progress can make for better soap :D

Carolyn, I have been toying with adding sorbitol to my soap because I really do enjoy a good lather. How much do you generally add and where do you get it, if you don't mind sharing this information. I haven't found any reference that I trust about how much and what form. You, I trust.

Carolyn, I have been toying with adding sorbitol to my soap because I really do enjoy a good lather. How much do you generally add and where do you get it, if you don't mind sharing this information. I haven't found any reference that I trust about how much and what form. You, I trust.
I use the powdered at 1-1.1% of my total batch. You can always play with the amount
This is the one I buy on Amazon. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019FYWF18/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you, Carolyn! It's nice to know where to start, and I am sure I will play with it. I can't decide if I want to do sorbitol or beer. I'll probably try them both and compare like a good soaper. I have been using sugar since I started making soap a few years ago, and I have also used milks, but never either of these two. It just never occurred to me until I started doing research on upping my lather.

:thumbs: It is not cheap, but with my using lower PKO and CO I am finding it really helps kick up the lather. I just de-molded some 50% shea soaps with 10% pko/co split. They already lather well. Usually my shea soaps take a few months to give any lather, now I am not saying it is a lather you would write home about, but it is lather :D

Back