Latex Allergies and oils

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
penelopejane, that's a good point you make that I wasn't thinking about: a buildup of the allergen. Thank you!

And people could by chucking out my soaps, but I know that some of them are repeat customers. I know everyone is different. I mean, I HATE the smell of lavender and it gives me headaches, but everyone else loves it!

I also understand that the medical community is very slow about accepting these "unusual" types of allergies. I remember when they still said that people simply just did NOT have allergies to food :)

I guess I'll just keep on keeping on... thank you all for your help and comments!! I'm still looking around and asking questions on this topic - it fascinates me.

When someone has an allergic reaction, it is to the proteins in that item. Not the fats. The problem of soaps made with those items is that no one can absolutely guarantee that there are no proteins in the oils, or that the lye denatures what little protein remains. So, folks who are using a soap made with something that is a known allergen, they are risking a reaction. 99% of the time, they should be fine. The issue is that 1% chance of a reaction.

I'll only chime in to add that, in my case, artificial scents can trigger a migraine in me, which is the main reason I don't use them but natural scents (essential oils) do not. Both my daughter and I have oral reactions to some nuts (tree nuts in her case, filberts in mine), raw fruits and vegetables when we ingest them but no reaction when any of these foods are used topically (i.e. almond oil, hazelnut oil).

That's what I do now.

I'm not the best at writing what's in my head, so excuse me - everybody - if I sound like I'm off my rocker :)

At market, people will tell me that they have allergies. I tell THEM that all my ingredients are listed on the side panel (and usually show them). Then I watch them buy soap that is made with what they are allergic to. Nobody has ever come back to me and said "Hey, your soap triggered my allergy". I'm at this market every week for 6 months of the year, so you'd think if they had a problem, they'd be back to tell me, right?

Most of them don't even look at the ingredients. It feels like those people who will tell you "I'm allergic to fragrance" then want blueberry scented soap.

So, if one is allergic to latex or avocados, uses a soap with avocado oil and shea butter but has no reaction - what does everyone think of that?

Is there not proof out there that the allergens in these ingredients don't make it through "saponification"? I can't find anything, myself.

ETA: maybe I'm just thinking "out loud". Ignore me if this conversation is going in circles :)

Theoretically, mind you, oils do not contain the protein that triggers the allergic reaction. That is what is supposed to be. Then you add the whole saponification process that should further damage beyond our body's recognition the protein (the body has certain receptors that the protein locks into, so damage to that protein's structure should prevent that from occurring).

Add to the above that people label all sorts of reactions to products as "allergies", when they are not true allergic reactions, and you get exactly what you are saying they do above. Especially the fragrance. Fragrances with phthalates have been known to trigger migraines and sneezing, watery eyes, runny nose type reactions that are not true allergies, but irritations of the mucous membranes.

I'll only chime in to add that, in my case, artificial scents can trigger a migraine in me, which is the main reason I don't use them but natural scents (essential oils) do not. Both my daughter and I have oral reactions to some nuts (tree nuts in her case, filberts in mine), raw fruits and vegetables when we ingest them but no reaction when any of these foods are used topically (i.e. almond oil, hazelnut oil).

I get oral allergy syndrome to raw cherries. Last time I tried a couple, my throat started itching and feeling tight. Never again.

I get oral allergy syndrome to raw cherries. Last time I tried a couple, my throat started itching and feeling tight. Never again.

Yup. I only mentioned filberts but I get that same reaction with numerous fresh fruits and vegetables. It's the main reason I don't eat a lot of fresh fruits and veggies. Process them in some way, no issue (i.e. fresh peaches vs canned peaches).

Does anyone have definitive proof that if a person has a latex allergy, then they are also allergic to avocado oil, shea butter, mango butter, castor oil, etc?

I thought - at least in the case of shea butter that the proteins are NOT the same as the protein in latex gloves & balloons...

And if you are allergic to something like avocados - does that automatically make you allergic to the oil? It's intuitive thinking that one WOULD be, but is it actually true?

Does any of this apply when the oils in question are turned into soap?

I'd like to learn more about all this, but from scientific sources, not just anecdotal or interwebz brain trusts, if possible. Any help is appreciated -even a link back to a thread I may have missed. Thanks!!
I know this was posted a while back but I'm just seeing it. I am severely allergic to latex and with that avocado oil, mango butter, etc. I have not noticed any issues with Shea butter to date but I will say that instead of getting hives anymore, my body tends to react as though it it being burnt. I will develop 1st degree burns at the application sight and feel like the area is on fire, as well as getting swelling in my throat. If ingested my throat closes immediately.

Back