Latest ZNSC

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all due respect, UGG, I beg to differ... I don't see a heart mold in there or a "puck" type for shaving soap! Tsk Tsk. 😂
PXL_20211105_205538054.jpg

Has everyone settled on which new cavity molds to buy? 😂

I’m back to give a very early report on the performance of the soap I posted at the top of the thread. As a reminder, I used the 85 OO, 10 CO, 5 castor recipe (lye concentration 35%) and just had to sneak in a test after seeing the photo @LynetteO posted here. At the 11-d mark, my soap is making a lovely foamy/cushiony lather, with a few larger bubbles. It’s very nice!

Has everyone settled on which new cavity molds to buy? 😂

I’m back to give a very early report on the performance of the soap I posted at the top of the thread. As a reminder, I used the 85 OO, 10 CO, 5 castor recipe (lye concentration 35%) and just had to sneak in a test after seeing the photo @LynetteO posted here. At the 11-d mark, my soap is making a lovely foamy/cushiony lather, with a few larger bubbles. It’s very nice!

What do you mean by decide? I'm buying all of them!

😂 OMG Beware, no, it's BY FAR not as bad as that I'm buying my moulds directly at Silikomart. Retail resellers can still keep me busy with ease. The moulds are around 15 bucks per piece across online stores and brick-and-mortar kitchenware stores (it's nice to see them IRL before purchase, but they usually have only smaller selections).

ETA: BIG MISTAKE to look up that shop 😍🦉🥺
I agree! BIG MISTAKE to look at that shop!!

I would really like to try this recipe, but was wondering, since I live near the ocean can I just use real sea water for this recipe?
What a sacrilegious idea 😂🤩! (What would @Zany_in_CO think about un-faux-ing her recipe? :smallshrug:)
  1. If possible, compare the two: make two batches, one with salt & baking soda, to the word of the ZNSC instructions, and one with actual (diluted) sea water. All other things equal (oils, salt concentration, lye concentration, temperatures, cure time)
  2. Start a new thread for this! Really helps with visibility and keeping threads on topic.

since I live near the ocean can I just use real sea water for this recipe?
Yes.
I think a couple of members did that. It was in the original thread on ZNSC
:thumbs: Correcr. the original thread on ZNSC

Zany's No Slime Castile - YouTube video
In that video, she soaps at 85°F and the batch is slow to trace. The recommendation is 100°-110°F for better trace time.

TIP: Be sure to read through the directions carefully. Refrigerate the sea water ahead of time and use it straight from the fridge to cool down the lye solution more quickly. Note the Water to Lye Ratio and 0% SF.
1.7 to 1 NaOH.png

I used the 85 OO, 10 CO, 5 castor recipe

That is the combo I use. I have dry, sensitive, mature skin. I love the creamy lather that leaves my face feeling nice and clean with no tightness. I wash my face with it AM and PM.

Last edited:
From time to time I see people asking @Mobjack Bay where she bought the spiral cavity mold. I received a gift certificate from Majestic Mountain Sage and while looking through the site, lookie lookie what I found Sweet Roll Silicone Mold
I don't know if it is exactly the same, but I ordered one because I'm pretty sure I need another mold. 🤭

I would really like to try this recipe, but was wondering, since I live near the ocean can I just use real sea water for this recipe?
I know I'm chiming in a little late but I've been using sea water only for the ZNSC soap. My son-in-law brought me a couple gallons that I boiled to sterilize. I've not made it with Zany's faux sea water yet.

I'll be asking him to bring me more the next time they come out to visit, which will be sooner rather than later, I hope.

Latest posts

Back