Latest ZNSC

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Here’s my latest batch of ZNSC. I used up the last of some misbehaving (fast to trace) OO, added 10% CO and 5% castor. Not knowing for sure how the OO would behave in this recipe, I started with the batter at 95F. and used 35% lye concentration. I had trace in less then 10 minutes and the loaf went into gel quickly after I put it on a heating pad at high. The spiral soaps and the square one are unscented. The cut bars are scented with a blend of litsea, lavender, clary sage and a tiny bit of vetiver. This batch is not as white as some I’ve made in the past, which I assume is due to the OO rather than the CO or castor. According to the label, the OO is a blend of refined and EVOO. Given what I paid for it, I doubt it has more than a trace of EVOO.

7999A76E-6B30-4BC6-9DFF-F70DC7A418B0.jpeg

I started with the batter at 95F. and used 35% lye concentration.
Beautiful soaps! Well done! Thanks for sharing!

If you don't mind my asking, how soon did you unmold? and cut?

The single cavity soaps are darling! 😍 Did they go through gel? If so, what did you do to achieve that?

I don't have a problem with you using 95F instead of 100-110°F as stated in post #1. But I'm curious to see if 35% lye concentration (instead of 1.7:1 Lye to Water Ratio) results in a bit of slime or not. So, I hope you will report back after 4-6 weeks from date of manufacture.

I'll be watching... 👀 😁

The size of the dahlia mold linked by @ResolvableOwl is right (diameter ~ 1.5”; 3.8 cm), but my mold is an inexpensive version, not a Silikomart. I bought it last year from an Etsy seller who was having a closeout sale. The spiral mold is a Silikomart. I probably bought it through Amazon. If I had money to burn, I would replace all of my cavity molds with Silikomart versions.

@Zany_in_CO I cpop’d the cavity molds. I saw the square one in gel, but past that I’m clueless. They all popped out of the molds cleanly within 24 hrs.

Last edited:
Here’s my latest batch of ZNSC. I used up the last of some misbehaving (fast to trace) OO, added 10% CO and 5% castor. Not knowing for sure how the OO would behave in this recipe, I started with the batter at 95F. and used 35% lye concentration. I had trace in less then 10 minutes and the loaf went into gel quickly after I put it on a heating pad at high. The spiral soaps and the square one are unscented. The cut bars are scented with a blend of litsea, lavender, clary sage and a tiny bit of vetiver. This batch is not as white as some I’ve made in the past, which I assume is due to the OO rather than the CO or castor. According to the label, the OO is a blend of refined and EVOO. Given what I paid for it, I doubt it has more than a trace of EVOO.

View attachment 62265
Beautiful!! Love the swirled one!

Ohh, don't seduce me to browse once again through the Silikomart catalogue. They have at least three different sizes of at least four different flowers (amongst literally >1000 other MUST HAVE silicone moulds o_O🤩).
I see you must register to see prices. Do you get much junk mail from Silcomart?

😂 OMG Beware, no, it's BY FAR not as bad as that I'm buying my moulds directly at Silikomart. Retail resellers can still keep me busy with ease. The moulds are around 15 bucks per piece across online stores and brick-and-mortar kitchenware stores (it's nice to see them IRL before purchase, but they usually have only smaller selections).

ETA: BIG MISTAKE to look up that shop 😍🦉🥺

Sadly, the shipping from either of those stores is ~$20 for one mold.
Think of it this way...
cost of mold + shipping
divided by the number of soaps it makes,
= the price of each soap.
That way, it pays for itself after the first batch! :nodding:

Of course, we'd need an upper-upscale clientele for that to work, wouldn't we. But there are artisan soapmakers out there charging ridiculous $$$ for their soaps.

Something to think about. 🤔

Latest posts

Back