Latest ZNSC

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would still consider that the FO caused a problem. When you have used it previously and it behaved well, were you using the same 1.7:1 lye:water (37% lye concentration), or was your lye concentration lower. I have found that FOs that don't seem to accelerate can behave differently when a higher lye concentration is used.

Recipe was OO 80%, CA 5%, CO 15%. Ratio 1.7:1. Faux salt water 1 tbsp each of fine sea salt and baking soda in a quart of distilled water.
I"m sorry for your troubles. :oops:

My best guess is the addition of 5% citric acid. That's not in the original formula and I've never tried making ZNSC with it. There's an outside chance of adulterated Olive Oil causing the problem if you used EVOO. I use Pomace or "Pure" OO from Costco or "Grade A" from Soapers Choice.

HTH :computerbath:

Last edited:
I"m sorry for your troubles. :oops:

My best guess is the addition of 5% citric acid. That's not in the original formula and I've never tried making ZNSC with it. There's an outside chance of adulterated Olive Oil causing the problem if you used EVOO. I use Pomace or "Pure" OO from Costco or "Grade A" from Soapers Choice.

HTH :computerbath:
By CA I meant castor oil. I used extra virgin OO from Costco. I’ve never had a problem with it before but I guess there could always be a problem batch.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just remembered that I added vitamin e to the OO used in the later batches but not in the OO used in the first batch. Will try the recipe again w/o FO and fresh faux sea water and see what happens. If it traces quickly then maybe that means the vitamin e was the problem. We’ll see.

I would still consider that the FO caused a problem. When you have used it previously and it behaved well, were you using the same 1.7:1 lye:water (37% lye concentration), or was your lye concentration lower. I have found that FOs that don't seem to accelerate can behave differently when a higher lye concentration is used.
The lye concentration was lower than in the non ZNSC. Will have to experiment with the FO again.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I just remembered that I added vitamin e to the OO used in the later batches but not in the OO used in the first batch. Will try the recipe again w/o FO and fresh faux sea water and see what happens. If it traces quickly then maybe that means the vitamin e was the problem. We’ll see.
It could be that your Vitamin E is oxidized/rancid. That would definitely speed up trace.

Back