Latest high lard soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomahawk is right - I buy my lard from the supermarket. I rendered tallow, because it is almost impossible to buy here in Austria, but I have found a supplier in Germany that can help me out so even that is okay.

The reason I asked is because I can't buy lard here from the market so I have to render it myself. I remember lard in the US being sold in hard blocks like butter which made sense when I hear people loving the hard, creamy white lard bars they've made. But, when I rendered it myself, yup, high gross factor, it is very soft and sticky and still smells like bacon or something like that. It is very hard to work with, has to be frozen to even get it measured out, and I haven't been that impressed with the bars, they are also softer than expected.

So, long explanation, but I wondered if the difference is in the texture of the lard. What is your like? Hard like butter? Maybe I did something wrong when I rendered it?

I've just made my first lard soap too. I can also get dripping<tallow>. In everyone's experience, which makes the best soap?

I like using a combo of lard and tallow, too. Lard (in comparison to tallow) is softer, milder/less cleansing, and produces creamy-type lather. Tallow (in comparison to lard) is harder, more cleansing, and process more of the bubbly-type lather. Oftentimes, when I have used just lard, I have always wished it were a bit harder, and that it would produce just a bit more in the bubbly department.... and when I've used just tallow, I have wished that it were a bit less cleansing. Mixed together, they complement each other perfectly, making the perfect fat for the likes of me. Speaking only for myself, my favorite ratio of lard to tallow is 65% lard to 35% tallow.

IrishLass :)

I like using a combo of lard and tallow, too. Lard (in comparison to tallow) is softer, milder/less cleansing, and produces creamy-type lather. Tallow (in comparison to lard) is harder, more cleansing, and process more of the bubbly-type lather. Oftentimes, when I have used just lard, I have always wished it were a bit harder, and that it would produce just a bit more in the bubbly department.... and when I've used just tallow, I have wished that it were a bit less cleansing. Mixed together, they complement each other perfectly, making the perfect fat for the likes of me. Speaking only for myself, my favorite ratio of lard to tallow is 65% lard to 35% tallow.

Mmmm. I want to try this one now.

Is that quick or slow to trace?

Latest posts

Back