Latest alternating wall pour

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your confused?! I'm confused!! 🤪🤪😜:p🤪 Good catch, Dibbles. You are right, the pink/black is litsea and lavender! I soaped again with bergamot and the same thing happened. Lets blame the essential oil and not the soaper, okay?
It's not the soaper. But since the same thing happened with different EOs, I don't think I'd blame them either just yet. It's been awfully humid and quite warm here. I know you force gel and cover your molds with plastic wrap. Are you noticing any kind of moisture building up on the wrap? Summer soaping can be a little different that winter. Your batter may just be heating up a bit more than normal while gelling, and with the added humidity collecting some moisture, or causing EO to seep a little. I've had funky things happen once in awhile due to ambient heat and humidity.

@SoapDaddy70, you're darn tootin' right you better be impressed!! And great explanation, @amd! I got the inspiration here, Flax Milk Layered Soap Project | BrambleBerry .
You can search my threads in the Photo Gallery for more of my awp's. :secret:Don't tell anyone, but it is SUPER easy but with impressive and elegant results. I divide my total batch weight into five, put my loaf on the scale, slip a tablespoon under the loaf to tip it, and pour down the wall with one layer. Sprinkle. Turn the loaf around. Rinse and repeat. Mrs. Zing helps by watching the scale because I can't pour and watch the scale at the same time.

How thick is the trace?

Your confused?! I'm confused!! 🤪🤪😜:p🤪 Good catch, Dibbles. You are right, the pink/black is litsea and lavender! I soaped again with bergamot and the same thing happened. Lets blame the essential oil and not the soaper, okay?
Are you sure it's not the place/country where you're soaping? You should better retry under, umm, southern skies, with some competent audience watching!

Y'all know that "tootin'" has an interesting meaning... as in that old grade school song:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat some beans at every meal!
Lol, interesting, the version I learned as a kid starts "beans, beans are good for your heart"... You can figure out the rhyme from there ;)

Not sure if this is what @Zing intended to drift the conversation towards … But anyway. Along reading through this, I'm gobbling up some innovative breakfast-lunch hybrid that largely consists of darn tootin' hummus. Usually I don't mind being aware that it's not only a feast for me myself, but also for my gut flora – but to celebrate the occasion, I do it this time 😄.

@Zing, it's great how you saw a photo of soap and figured out how to re-create the look by pulling from available soaping techniques and running with it. ( What you are calling an alternating wall pour (which is a fine name, BTW) is a technique similar to one called by at least 4 other names that I know of. Now there are 5! I think one difference is you may only pour the soap along the wall of the tilted mold, while that same look can be achieved without actually pouring along the wall of the mold, but of course tilted the mold is required. Below are some examples of soap makers who have achieved the same look using similar techniques called by different names.

That is often called a Slanted Layer pour, and I have also seen it called a tilted layer pour and also a diagonal layer pour and also angled layers. It can be done with or without mica lines. It can also be achieved with or without pouring along the wall, as shown in the video below.

Here is a video on the technique:

Here the maker calls it angled layers and you can see the result is the same:

This one is called slanted mica lines, although you will notice, the maker did not alternate the wall pour with every pour, only some of them:

Its unfortunate, or maybe fortunate, most Americans haven't discovered the secret deliciousness that is beans on toast. Its the best comfort food any time of the day! 🥰
Kathleen

We do eat beans on tortillas, though not baked beans and usually not white beans. Although my husband thinks beans on toast sounds really odd (we watch a British TV series in which beans on toast is mentioned at least 3 times every few episodes), he would not hesitate to eat a burrito (plain or fancy.) We do eat baked beans, but usually as a side and usually not the style of baked bean (recipe-wise) that the Brits put on toast. We do in fact eat all sorts of beans in the US, just not commonly on toast.

Some even use canned beans in their diets or in their cooking. I don't. I use dry beans and cook them myself. I have made a baked bean recipe similar to the canned Heinz variety of baked bean (vegetarian style) but have not considered putting it on toast.

Here's an article about how some folks in the US react to beans on toast:
https://www.indy100.com/news/beans-on-toast-discover-twitter-food-us-9277136
Now back to @Zing's topic of that gorgeous soap.....

Ha ha, @earlene, I wish I was that smart to look at a photo and figure it out! I actually got pretty detailed instructions from Ms. Bramble Berry, Flax Milk Layered Soap Project | BrambleBerry. And thanks a lot for sending me down a YouTube rabbit hole! I'll be down here for awhile and today I've got places to go and people to meet!!! Erg!!

This whole beans on toast thing is so bizarre! And @KiwiMoose's video even moreso!! I could not believe what I was watching -- that beans on toast was the main plot device, and complete with Pixar level sentimentality! It took me several minutes for my U.S.-centric self to realize that it had to be a different country.

Now what are not bizarre meals are some of my childhood favorites -- like creamed corn on toast, and chipped beef 'n' gravy on toast! I still make it sometimes.

Y'all know that "tootin'" has an interesting meaning... as in that old grade school song:

Beans, beans, the musical fruit.
The more you eat, the more you toot.
The more you toot, the better you feel.
So eat some beans at every meal!

My husband still sings that song! And would love it if I would follow the suggestion it gives! 😂

When I first started soaping, I had some melt & pour left over from before so thought I'd experiment with colour and pencil line and it seems it's sort of an 'alternating wall' pour! Who knew? I haven't tried the technique with cold process soap.
M&P side.jpg

Here's an article about how some folks in the US react to beans on toast:
I personally love beans on toast, it's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. I didn't even know it was an English thing until I was well into my 30's and worked with a British engineer. He was shocked that I knew and liked it, I was shocked to discover that there was a whole island of people eating beans and toast. I think in a past life I may have been European as I have some mannerisms that are not American - most commonly commented on is eating with fork in left hand and knife in right. My mother says I picked it up very young when my great grandmother (from Germany) was still alive and she could never break me of the habit.

Sorry for OT, Zing, but I also have to ask if you have ever had SOS (sh1t on a shingle) it was some kind of meat gravy thing that my dad's family ate all the time, and I remember my parents fighting because mom refused to make it for him, so dad would leave and go to his mom's house for dinner.

I personally love beans on toast, it's been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. I didn't even know it was an English thing until I was well into my 30's and worked with a British engineer. He was shocked that I knew and liked it, I was shocked to discover that there was a whole island of people eating beans and toast. I think in a past life I may have been European as I have some mannerisms that are not American - most commonly commented on is eating with fork in left hand and knife in right. My mother says I picked it up very young when my great grandmother (from Germany) was still alive and she could never break me of the habit.

Sorry for OT, Zing, but I also have to ask if you have ever had SOS (sh1t on a shingle) it was some kind of meat gravy thing that my dad's family ate all the time, and I remember my parents fighting because mom refused to make it for him, so dad would leave and go to his mom's house for dinner.
SOS doesn't sound very appetising AMD!

Latest posts

Back