Large mold, slab mold, favorite mold?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikolye

Reaction score
hello-
I'm starting to do a bit of research on molds. Watching tutorials and such. Can you tell me what you use for a large batch mold? preferences, pros cons.... My loaf mold holds about 1kg of oils, i really need that to go up drastically to be 3 or more. looking between Basic slab with cutter, a couple silicone molds that hold 10-15 individual bars(for ease) or slab molds with 2 long dividers and a cutter. I need to make alot of bars in one go(300) eek. then after that i shouldn't need more than 50 at a time. I've never needed so much soap in one go... and i'm surely not going to do 300 in my loaf mold one batch at a time.. and cutters, whats your favorite style of cutter for big jobs? I still just use a knife and my eyeballs and its just not working anymore.

really my best idea would probably be to find a makeshift mold, some amazing tray or box i find and use that for a few batches(probably need to purchase the cutter still) to create the 300, then buy a good mold that would suit my 50ish regular bars.

any thoughts?

Have you thought about making your own molds? I made mine because I couldn't find any that had the exact dimensions that I wanted in a bar of soap. They are'nt that hard to make all you need is a steady hand when cutting the wood to length (or get the hardware store to cut it for you) some hinges and a few screws to put it all together.

Nikolye, I used a boot box lined with freezer paper as my mold when I created my mosaic soap for the June SMF challenge. It was the box my husband's work boots came in; like an big shoe box, but for ankle-high boots. It produced 8 pounds of soap which is equivalent to about 3628 grams. It worked perfectly for a slab mold and did not suffer any damage at all from this one-time use. I could easily use it a many times, I believe.

Since you say you will only need to do a large amount once, then going forward do half that size, why not just use a cardboard box like I did for the one-time batch. You can buy the size molds you need for the ongoing batches and not be out the money for a larger one that you many not ever need again.

As far as cutters, I am not a good contributor on that score. Being a one-time mold, cutting was a challenge. What I did, though, was to cut it into 3 lengths like log molds that would fit into my current cutting system, which is a mitre box, then cut each bar from the resulting logs.

Look at nurture soap molds. Work out if you want log or t&s and buy 3. You'll be set for both alternatives and will get a nice finish on the product. If you CPOP make sure it fits in your oven.

how do you log split? this is why I still have no slab mold

Log splitters generally have a stationary wire through which you push the slab mold in order to cut it into logs.

The one pictured here is actually adjustable, but many are not.

Here is a youtube video about how to use one.
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQjcIvGWsNE"]Here[/ame]

For my one-time slab mold, I just used my ruler and kitchen knife. I did buy a pizza knife to use in the future if I ever decide to do another slab mold. I haven't used it yet, so can't attest to it's performance.

Have you thought about making your own molds? I made mine because I couldn't find any that had the exact dimensions that I wanted in a bar of soap. They are'nt that hard to make all you need is a steady hand when cutting the wood to length (or get the hardware store to cut it for you) some hinges and a few screws to put it all together.
My brother in law made my loaf mold, i think thats probably the direction i'll go again for the slab.. or have him make me another loaf.

how do you log split? this is why I still have no slab mold[/QUOT
I have been in the log splitter annoyance boat for awhile. I can't even cut my bars straight let alone the log as well. I'm looking into a pricey mold with log dividers for my future.. but for now maybe a giant knife!!!!

Nikolye, I used a boot box lined with freezer paper as my mold when I created my mosaic soap for the June SMF challenge. It was the box my husband's work boots came in; like an big shoe box, but for ankle-high boots. It produced 8 pounds of soap which is equivalent to about 3628 grams. It worked perfectly for a slab mold and did not suffer any damage at all from this one-time use. I could easily use it a many times, I believe.
I used boxes in my early days. thats actually what i was thinking i'd do for the temp mold. slab molds are just big boxes aren't they. Its actually hard to spend so much money on a giant re-usable shoe box eh!

Log splitters generally have a stationary wire through which you push the slab mold in order to cut it into logs.

The one pictured here is actually adjustable, but many are not.

Here is a youtube video about how to use one.
Here

The one pictured above is much smaller than some of the mammoth things i've been looking at! the mold itself is huge, I'd need my very own lab to have a slab mold, log slitter and bar cutter!!!! love the idea, hate not having the space and money for them!!!
For my one-time slab mold, I just used my ruler and kitchen knife. I did buy a pizza knife to use in the future if I ever decide to do another slab mold. I haven't used it yet, so can't attest to it's performance.

I'm actually totally happy to use a pizza knife, ruler and a giant shoe box to make the 300 work, but the people whom want the soap want it uniform. I'm a terrible cutter. but with time and patience i can do it!!!!

Latest posts

Back