Lardinators! What lard do you use?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paillo

Reaction score
Making lard soap today with leaf lard, grass-fed pigs, certified organic from Fannie and Flo on Etsy. Have some of their tallow too.

What do y'all US soapers use? The really good stuff like theirs, or cheap brands like Armour (lard and hydrogenated lard)? I don't mind paying for the good stuff, but it could be a little pricey if I become a convert. Any good sources for the good stuff in bulk?

Last edited:
The kind from pigs. :mrgreen:

I use Armour brand. I do want to get some high quality leaf lard for cooking, but honestly I think it would be wasted on soaping. I get it at Wal-Mart. Weirdly, it is cheaper per oz in the small 1 lb tub than in the 4 lb tub.

Wherever and from whomever I can get it. I've often used Armour and Snow Cap lard from the grocery and Walmart, whoever is cheapest. I keep looking at Soaper's Choice, but the cost of their lard delivered is higher than what I can get it from Wally World, so I haven't purchased lard from SC.

A lady who raises hogs in my area will sell me pork fat when she butchers. Last time I got 55 lb of fat for $10. At a 70% yield, that's about $0.25 per pound of finished lard plus the cost of my time -- and I really don't mind rendering lard or tallow. There can be a bit of problem with her supply exceeding my demand and vice versa. Right now, I want more lard, and she doesn't have it, so Walmart has been getting my lard business of late.

The one I use just seems to be store brand at Big Saver market - but its so pretty and white and in nice big chunks! Its near the Farmer Johns lard, but I've had such good luck with the no-name, so I keep using it.

Lard.JPG

Fannie and Flo's lard and tallow for my personal use - and those I love and give lots of soap too (aka its all they use) (because it's as organic as you can get, no bht)

Store bought lard for the majority of my soaps - given to people who don't use it daily.

Love Fannie and Flo! Dedicated and serious what doing a quality job rendering and now their packages come complete with very detailed info on their process and why its the process they use.

I'm in the same position as Dee Anna, more or less. I have bought, and used Armour and Sno Cap with excellent results.

At the moment, I am working my way through a 5 gallon bucket from a local supplier. (www dot janakpacking dot com) They sell my honey, and I use their lard in my soaps.

I do notice that the "natural" lard (un-hydrogenated, separating) does have more of a bacon-y smell in unscented soaps. But as far as saponification, etc., I don't notice much difference.

All my customers are local, and they know the brand. They appreciate it when I tell them from whom I buy my lard.

No, I have not made a bacon soap yet. :mrgreen:

~HL~

Wherever and from whomever I can get it. I've often used Armour and Snow Cap lard from the grocery and Walmart, whoever is cheapest. I keep looking at Soaper's Choice, but the cost of their lard delivered is higher than what I can get it from Wally World, so I haven't purchased lard from SC.

Looked at Soapers Choice too, but it would be too horrifying to have it arrive in a bag in a pail. Fannie and Flo for me, and fill in with Armour.

Making lard soap today with leaf lard, grass-fed pigs, certified organic from Fannie and Flo on Etsy. Have some of their tallow too.

Leaf lard from grass-fed pigs? Oooooh, I'm excited! I'll have to take a look at that Etsy site! Thank you so much for mentioning a good source! For a long time I've wanted to make pie crust and donuts using leaf lard, but it's not something I've ever been able to find locally.

What do y'all US soapers use? The really good stuff like theirs, or cheap brands like Armour (lard and hydrogenated lard)? I don't mind paying for the good stuff, but it could be a little pricey if I become a convert. Any good sources for the good stuff in bulk?

I just use the SnowCap brand (hydrogenated) for my soaps. I've used Armor, too, but lately all I can find at my neighborhood grocers is the SnowCap. Anyway- both the Armor and Snowcap give me very lovely lard soaps. Personally (if it were me), I would save the good stuff for cooking.

IrishLass :)

Irishlass,

Make sure to send them a message and ask for the soapers Lard or Tallow. It is a lot cheaper than their premium. They will send you a link with the amount you want and the price. The price varies. I have paid $2.00 a pound. Same as what they sell but it is the stuff that for some reason does not make it to their site due to having a bit of color, etc.

Sere

Last edited:
Serene said:
Irishlass,

Make sure to send them a message and ask for the soapers Lard or Tallow. It is a lot cheaper than their premium. They will send you a link with the amount you want and the price. The price varies. I have paid $2.00 a pound. Same as what they sell but it is the stuff that for some reason does not make it to their site due to having a bit of color, etc.

Sere

Too late- I just bought 5 lbs of their premium leaf lard for cooking! Hahaha! Couldn't wait! I'll remember that for next time, though. Thanks!

IrishLass :)

Irishlass,

Sere

Oooh, is this for Fannie and Flo? Great tip, thanks!!!

I'm in Canada, but I render my own from a local farmer. $5 for about 5kg of mixed pig fat. Although if I can get straight leaf lard or fat, I hoard it for pastry. Yum!

The vast majority of my lardy batches have used the Armour lard. I even bought a 25lb pail of it from a local restaurant supply and am getting close to the bottom, eek! Never had any issues with it but did get a chance last year to try some locally rendered lard. It wasn't as fluffy white and clean looking as the hydrogenated version but it soaped just fine. It smelled more piggy in the raw state but that didn't come thru in the cured soap. I tried to get some leaf lard from this same guy but he was sold out. I wanted it for cooking and baking so might have to order some of the Fannie & Flo stuff.

I started out getting my lard at Walmart (Armour/Manteca). After my soaping addiction hit overdrive, and family and friends wanted more and more, I was lucky enough to talk my way into being able to buy from a local bakery supply store. They usually don't sell to the public, but a few "bribe" bars of soap and I'm now getting my lard, citric acid, coconut oil, some of my packaging and bags and a few other items from the.

I get my lard from them in 50 lb boxes. and coconut oil in 50 lb drums.

I get mine from the store. The only one I can find outside of a butcher's is Armour. I recently bought beef tallow from a nearby butcher and I must say, I may have to buy from them again and fry me up some french fries... If I don't buy something cooked out of there.

Local Wal-Mart, Armour. It produces a good bar. I did get a 5 lb bucket of Lard from a local co-op group/ self sustaining community. I haven't had a chance to try it yet. I'm planning on doing a 1 lb tester batch of each Lard to see if there is a noticeable difference.

Back