Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a little trouble with that at first. But then I kept reading about the virtues of lard in soap. So I tried it. I never looked back. And somewhere along the way, I realized that the bar soap we were using before I started making soap was made with tallow. No different in my mind.

You may know what lard is, but it's not out of the realm of possibility that there are some (especially newer members) that may not know what it is. I can attest to running into a few new members from time to time who did not know. I cannot say whether or not the OP meant this thread as a PSA to those that may not know, but that's what I took it as being.

IrishLass :)

The OP should have stated as such, if the intention was to inform. Otherwise, this thread is rather meaningless without a stated intention for why it exists. It should also be in the beginning soapmaking forum, if this is the case.

The OP should have stated as such, if the intention was to inform. Otherwise, this thread is rather meaningless without a stated intention for why it exists. It should also be in the beginning soapmaking forum, if this is the case.
This has been moved.

It is. I'm a little unsure why the topic was posted. Pig Tallow is another word for it. Given that we eat pigs, I've always viewed using lard or tallow as simple ensuring the entire animal is used rather than thrown out. Being a butcher/meatcutters daughter, I can assure you that all parts of the animal are used in some fashion. If you don't want to use lard, there are alternatives out there like vegetable shortening which is palm oil and soy oil or you can just use neither.

Thanks for posting.

I agree, most here know what lard is, but there are those that may not know. Thanks for sharing. :)

Actually, thinking about it. Would be good to have a sticky for lard/tallow and how to render with info on how to clean it to remove the smell. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It is. I'm a little unsure why the topic was posted. Pig Tallow is another word for it.
Pig (Monogastric animals) produce fat known as lard, not Tallow. Horses also fall under the Monogastric category. Other fats such a cow, bison, deer, bear (Ruminant animals) produce tallow. Chicken fat is known as Schmaltz.

Pig (Monogastric animals) produce fat known as lard, not Tallow. Horses also fall under the Monogastric category. Other fats such a cow, bison, deer, bear (Ruminant animals) produce tallow. Chicken fat is known as Schmaltz.
Thank you, I have been meaning to ask what the difference is between lard and tallow. Thought it was the process, but no it's the source of the fat.

Yep, another word for the same thing produced by a different animal.

Do you render chicken fat the same way you do for lard and tallow?
Usually it is fat I remove from the top of soups. But sometimes I slowly fry the skin to render the fat, it just depends on what I am cooking. I only clean them in water when I want to use the fat for soap. These pucks are great flavor additions to food which is why I do not initially render then like you would for soaping.

Usually it is fat I remove from the top of soups. But sometimes I slowly fry the skin to render the fat, it just depends on what I am cooking. I only clean them in water when I want to use the fat for soap. These pucks are great flavor additions to food which is why I do not initially render then like you would for soaping.
I didn't know that schmalz made good soap, so thanks for sharing that. It's fantastic in cornbread, so that's my normal use for it. If I manage to save enough to render for soap, I'll try a small batch and see.

Interesting. I had no idea you could use fat for soap that came directly from cooking something.
When using it to make soap, are the seasonings etc removed with cleaning before making soap or does that just come along with the fat?

p.s. Yes, formerly Chris Veer ... name change :)

Back