Lard

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

country gal

Reaction score
Will Lard that you can get from Walmart -( ARMOUR: lard, hydrogenated lard,bha, propyl gallate, citric acid) - work in soap recipes? I bought some, opened it and oooooh, has a little odor!!! Does that remain in the bar if you can use it to soap with?
Ok, that is it for tonight, I have to pace myself!!!!

It works great! :D No smell at all, and I have used 60% of the total recipe as lard. Buy it in the 4 pound containers. You can buy it at a restaurant supply company locally. Online, Columbus Foods has great prices on 50 pound cubes. :)

Paul

"With enough soap, you can blow up just about anything." --Fight Club

I agree, it's a great oil in soap. Armour's is the kind I get and it's cheap, too. :)

I just heard that Wal-Mart had the 25 pound buckets of Armor Lard on sale for $20.00! :D

Paul :wink:

"With enough soap, you can blow up just about anything." --Fight Club

Yeah! I don't know that you can't beat that price with any other oil except maybe canola. And not even shortening comes close. In fact, shortening has really gone up, not just Crisco but the more generic brands, too.

I was just coming in here to ask this same question about the Walmart Lard. I saw it the other day and almost bought it but wasn't sure if it was the right lard to use. Thanks for the answer :)

I use that brand in my lard soaps but it WILL smell if you overheat it when melting. Melt over very low temps and you should be fine. :)

The next time we butcher hogs, I am definately saving some of the lard. I tried to render some the last time, but I didn't do it right. We are doing some goats soon and I will try to save some off of them. They're pretty lean, but some have more fat than others. I have a plan to make soap eventually with completely hand made ingredients. We've used wally world lard before as the whole recipe and I wouldn't do that again. You might want to mix with EVOO or another liquid oil and go heavy on the scent.

to save on shipping that is where i get my lard from. never had a problem with it smelling. it is the very last solid oil i add to my soap kettle, heat it on low and when just about all melted i remove it from the heat and finish melting it by hand stirring. just so it doesn't get to hot. heat any oil excessively and it's going to smell. my walmart carries the large buckets too, but i don't think they move out to fast, i would be worried it was old and that is why they are selling it for 20 bucks. it isn't on special here.

i prefer a soap that contains lard rather then palm my skin likes it better. but some folks can't get over the vision that lard creates when they read it i quess. it must be the picture of a big ole fat pig whollering in a mud hole while granny clampett stirs her soap kettle down by the cement pond.

can you call lard something else on your label?

Hi,
I haven't used lard yet but would like to try it. Is there another name for Lard that sounds a little more refined? (for labeling) Maybe I'm blanking out. Even tallow sounds better than Lard. I'm afraid some customers might be turned off by "lard" :?
Thanks,
Opalgirl

Re: can you call lard something else on your label?

opalgirl said:
Hi,
I haven't used lard yet but would like to try it. Is there another name for Lard that sounds a little more refined? (for labeling) Maybe I'm blanking out. Even tallow sounds better than Lard. I'm afraid some customers might be turned off by "lard" :?
Thanks,
Opalgirl

I had that same question at one time, too, and considered renaming the lard 'Manteca', which is lard in Spanish, but then someone brought up the possibility of some people from either the Jewish faith or the Muslim faith buying soaps from me. Jewish people and Muslim people do not consider lard to be kosher and they avoid products made with it. I would hate for any of those folks to read my labels and buy my soap thinking there was no lard in it because the term 'lard' wasn't specifically listed in my ingredients, when all the time there was lard in it, but it was disguised under another name that was unrecognizable to them.

I considered the name 'tallow', too, which is technically correct, but 'tallow' doesn't convey the fact that it was rendered from a pig like lard does. To avoid any confusion, and to be up front to those who avoid lard for soloemn religious reasons, I just bite the bullet and label it as lard, and so far, no one has made any nasty lard comments to me. HTH!

IrishLass :)

Oh, I didn't even think about that. I have Messianic Jewish customers who don't eat pork. So, if I was ever going to use home made lard, I would have to keep it with goat or chicken fat.

The lard I used in my soap was from the local Mexican market, it worked great! I scented it with Lemongrass and Lavender.

I also made a soap with 100% lard to try out as a laundry soap. I used Orange EO. I have not tried it out yet, but plan to this weekend.

I find myself reaching for my lard bucket all the time now....I rarely use palm oil any more. I love the way my soaps turn out with lard (they take a few minutes longer to trace in my experience ) but I hate the way the lard smells. It smells "piggy" to me. Here is what I do: I melt the lard in a double boiler with the coconut oil and any other harder oils I might be using like shea or mango. Usually, it is just the lard and the coconut oil. I melt it on very very low and I turn off the heat as soon as I see that the hard oils are almost melted. I believe that the lard will smell very "piggy" if exposed to too high heat for too long. I am very vigilant about this. I have never detected the "piggy" smell in the finished soaps and I have been using some that are over 8 months old. This could all just be in my head....but I am very sensitive to bad smells and lard smells icky to me out of the bucket. Try the double boiler method....and you will never smell the lard in the finished soap!!!

You know the "BIGGIE" soap companies label their department soaps "sodium lardate" and "sodium tallowate." That is the classy way to say saponified fats of lard and tallow! :roll:

I also melt my piggie with other hard oils under a very low heat (175*) also, in my Presto Pot.

Paul :wink:

I just got a FOUR pound box of lard at Wal Mart for only $.25! Yeah, 25 cents for 4 pounds! First time ever using lard in soap...

It is the Morrell Snow Cap Lard, anyone use it?

I use Manteca Lard. I love it, no scent and it makes my soaps a very nice white color. I need to find a better way to buy it tho, it is expensive and it only comes in 2 1/2 lb tubs. It was like $4.

Lane: that is the same brand I use. I think I got it at Sam's Club. I am going to start storing it in my fridge as the weather warms up. My house gets hot and no air-conditioning! Just melt it slow and easy over very very low heat. You will detect a bit of a piggy smell which goes away as soon as your lye hits it!!

reallyrita said:
Lane: that is the same brand I use. I think I got it at Sam's Club. I am going to start storing it in my fridge as the weather warms up. My house gets hot and no air-conditioning! Just melt it slow and easy over very very low heat. You will detect a bit of a piggy smell which goes away as soon as your lye hits it!!
I def. noticed the smell... I made a batch last night...I creamed the lard with Coconut oil and Shea BUtter and used the lye to melt it down. Worked beautifully!

Latest posts

Back