Lard vs Shortening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ravenscents

Reaction score
I have been using lard as the primary ingredient in my soap. I wanted to try a vegan variety so I opted for Walmart all vegetable shortening. I was amazed at the difference in the color of the soap. (Shortening on the top, Lard on the bottom)
The bubbly soap is the shortening soap.

I use the CPOP method and I'm wondering why the shortening soap did not gel all the way.

My basic recipe is simple

40% Lard - Shortening
25% CO
25% OO
7% SF

I add powered goats milk, clays and micas when I want to switch up.

Attachments

• IMG_0761.jpg
    IMG_0761.jpg
    225.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0766.jpg
    IMG_0766.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 26
If it didn't gel all the way, then it either wasn't warm enough or it couldn't hold the heat long enough to gel the edges.
I usually check on my cpop to make sure its reaching the edges.

I'm very surprised with the color of your lard soap. Do you use EVOO? My recipe is very close to yours and they are very white.

I'm not really sure the soap with shortening has a partial gel ring. It could be, but the color difference looks like more of a rectangle shape than the typical oval or circle shape of a partial gel.

When the edges of the discoloration parallel the edges of the bar, I call it a "rind". It seems to be caused by a color shift due to water evaporation or a slow chemical reaction on the surface of the soap or something like that. If this is indeed a rind, the color of the entire surface of the soap should turn into the rind color (the pale white) over the next few days.

My high lard soaps are all fairly pale ivory to cream colored, even the ones I make with home-rendered lard. I don't use olive oil, however, so I also wonder if the OO is contributing to the color difference. You could rule that out if you used OO out of the same bottle for both batches. In any case, your lard-based soap is a lot darker than any of mine -- it looks more like soap that has honey, beer, milk or a lightly discoloring FO.

My home rendered lard soaps are always white to slightly creamy. It surprises me that yours should get this dark. I usually combine lard with sunflower oil.

If it didn't gel all the way, then it either wasn't warm enough or it couldn't hold the heat long enough to gel the edges.

I'm very surprised with the color of your lard soap. Do you use EVOO? My recipe is very close to yours and they are very white.
I was thinking after I sent my post, that I'm using Pumice and not EVOO. Could be the reason I'm fighting for white.
I'm not really sure the soap with shortening has a partial gel ring. It could be, but the color difference looks like more of a rectangle shape than the typical oval or circle shape of a partial gel.

When the edges of the discoloration parallel the edges of the bar, I call it a "rind". It seems to be caused by a color shift due to water evaporation or a slow chemical reaction on the surface of the soap or something like that. If this is indeed a rind, the color of the entire surface of the soap should turn into the rind color (the pale white) over the next few days.

My high lard soaps are all fairly pale ivory to cream colored, even the ones I make with home-rendered lard. I don't use olive oil, however, so I also wonder if the OO is contributing to the color difference. You could rule that out if you used OO out of the same bottle for both batches. In any case, your lard-based soap is a lot darker than any of mine -- it looks more like soap that has honey, beer, milk or a lightly discoloring FO.

The OO and CO came out out the same containers. I'm thinking it's darker because I use Pomace OO and not EV OO

No FO, Distilled water from same gallon container. It's weird . I'm going to give it another go this weekend and see if it happens again

Pomace should make white, ev is the one that can darken soap. I use just plain oo or pomace, though I don't use much oo of any kind anymore.

I used high lard in my recipes as well and they never are that dark. I don't use olive oil or pomace.

Nice lather! Do you find any difference in between your recipes? (ie, does goat's milk have a smoother lather compared to batches without it?)

is there any chance the bottom soap had goat milk powder added? My lard soaps are the whitest I make, but I would get the darker color of your bottom soap in a lard-based GM soap if I let it gel.
Or some other additive with sugars.

I love lard soaps.. Mine come out not white but close to it as well. Other than that one time I seem to have burned the coconut milk lol

Latest posts

Back