Lard vs "Crisco"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mappam564

Reaction score
I was able to find a Crisco type veg oil (thick like Crisco) and wondered how the two compare?

I will have access to tallow and lard next week - but wondered about trying a small batch with the Veg oil?

Thanks to anyone that has tried them both and the difference in the soap!

Crisco's ingredient list, the important parts, are "SOYBEAN OIL, FULLY HYDROGENATED PALM OIL, PARTIALLY HYDROGENATED PALM AND SOYBEAN OILS."

Fortunately, SoapCalc has an entry for Crisco, both the old and new stuff with palm oil, so you can simply enter it there.

It does make a decent soap, but with that amount of linoleic and linolenic acids, watch out for DOS. I'd be very tempted to use a preservative like ROE to try to reduce that tendency, and even so... All things considered, it'd be wise to use it as a small component of a soap, say 30% maximum, and fill in with oils that are more stable and less likely to give you DOS.

Lard's profile is very different. It's harder, less likely to get DOS, produces more creamy lather, but is a touch less conditioning (although lard is still very conditioning). Lard can be used up to 100% of your soap recipe and will produce a wonderful bar of soap all by itself. It blends well with other oils as well.

http://www.zensoaps.com/singleoil.htm

Sorry, I should have included this in the above. While Crisco performed well enough initially, it made the "Some Rancidity/DOS" list after six months. So it's not very stable at all.

Lard performed very well initially, and landed on the "Some Color Change" list and still usable.

It's only a single point of data, and given that this was a soap swap we don't know the age or storage conditions for either the Crisco or the lard, so take it with all due caution.

I was able to find a Crisco type veg oil (thick like Crisco) and wondered how the two compare?

I will have access to tallow and lard next week - but wondered about trying a small batch with the Veg oil?

Thanks to anyone that has tried them both and the difference in the soap!

Crisco "type" is not Crisco. You need to contact the manufacturer and ascertain exactly what percentage of what is in there, and use those percentages on SoapCalc.net to make your recipe.

I respectfully disagree with Susie. I have used other brands of shortening and used the "Crisco" entry and had no problems. If you were doing 0 super fat those minuscule variations might become problematic, but with 5% there's plenty of room for variation.

Thank you all.

The list is "Aceite de Palma. Aceite de Palmiste. Antioxidante BHT.

I have No Clue what Palmiste is?? I 'assume' Palma is palm oil but just a guess here.

This is an Ecuadorian brand "Los 3 Chanchitos"

As I have said - we recently moved to Ecuador and all of this hunting for all of the items I already had in the states is Very Confusing to say the least!

It is like starting all over again and I have been making soap for at least 10 years - gemminy crimminy....LOL

If anyone of you speak Spanish and can translate any of this - THANK YOU! :Kitten Love:

Back