Lard vs beef tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hils67

Reaction score
hi everyone, I love using lard as I find its economical to use, very conditioning and creamy. I want to incorporate some tallow into my bars to increase the hardness and longevity. I’ve done a few samples but not sure I can tell the difference.

Can experienced soapers enlighten me on what the difference is between lard and tallow in soap. Or what a good combination ratio would be please? My typical recipe is 35% lard, 20 CO, 20 olive oil, SWA 5, cocoa butter 5, Shea 5%, castor 5%. I find this gives a nice creamy but still bubbly bar, but it could be a little harder.

Still trying to find the perfect recipe, but honestly, a lot of my tweaks just feel the same to me o_O grateful for comments :nodding:

Tallow isn't as creamy, it makes bigger looser bubbles. To my skin, its not near as mild either with a higher cleansing oil.

Try this with a 5% SF. Its a really nice long lasting bar.

Tallow 45%
Lard 25%
Olive 15%
Castor 5%
Coconut 10%
Thank you...I love the creaminess of lard!!

I swapped out 25% lard for tallow last year. I can't tell a difference on skin feel, but I do notice a difference in smell (I can't smell an "animal" smell in tallow soap) and bar hardness. The soap seems to last a bit longer (maybe 4-5 washes more for a 4oz bar) with the tallow.

Back