Lard texture

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommycarlson

Reaction score
Hi All,
I've used Armour lard from day one. It has always had a firm smooth texture. Firm like I bend a spoon to get it out of the bucket. So this morning I ran out of lard and fetched a new bucket from the soap room, this lard is soft and grainy! I went and got another bucket, same thing, soft and grainy. Is this okay to use? The use by date on both buckets is more than a year out yet, November of 2018. I ended up having to use 1 oz to get the lard I need for my current batch but I'm afraid to use it for the next batch of soap. Any help would be appreciated. Wondering if I should return it to Walmart and exchange it? Thank you!

Thank you Shunt, It's winter here and cold my house is typically 66° daytime, can get as cold as 55° at night, I bought this just a week or two ago, maybe it came from a warmer climate? is it okay to use like this?

I live in the proverbial warmer climate, and I have only ever gotten lard like that when I forgot it out in the truck box for a couple of days in the 100 F heat before hunting for it. I have never gotten lard like that from storing in a 66 F house. If it smells the least bit off, I would return it to the store and get new. I might make a note of the lot # and all other info on the buckets, just in case.

Thank you Susie. It smells just fine. I used it in two batches of soap yesterday, it behaved normally and the soap looks perfect. I bought another bucket when I was at WM yesterday, it does not look like those two. This lard could have come from a warehouse that was in a warmer climate, would that have caused the texture change?

This lard could have come from a warehouse that was in a warmer climate, would that have caused the texture change?

I am not Susie, but maybe she will forgive me for jumping in; and in regards to your question, IMO that could be the case.

Thank you lsg. I have used the lard several times, in fact I just emptied the first bucket of it, the soap is fine, there was no off smell, it behaved just like the lard with the firmer texture.

Back