Lard texture

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

mommycarlson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I've used Armour lard from day one. It has always had a firm smooth texture. Firm like I bend a spoon to get it out of the bucket. So this morning I ran out of lard and fetched a new bucket from the soap room, this lard is soft and grainy! I went and got another bucket, same thing, soft and grainy. Is this okay to use? The use by date on both buckets is more than a year out yet, November of 2018. I ended up having to use 1 oz to get the lard I need for my current batch but I'm afraid to use it for the next batch of soap. Any help would be appreciated. Wondering if I should return it to Walmart and exchange it? Thank you!

shunt2011

Moderator Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
If it got really warm it does get softer and a bit grainy

mommycarlson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Shunt, It's winter here and cold my house is typically 66° daytime, can get as cold as 55° at night, I bought this just a week or two ago, maybe it came from a warmer climate? is it okay to use like this?

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Unless your lard smells strong, it should be OK to use.

Susie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I live in the proverbial warmer climate, and I have only ever gotten lard like that when I forgot it out in the truck box for a couple of days in the 100 F heat before hunting for it. I have never gotten lard like that from storing in a 66 F house. If it smells the least bit off, I would return it to the store and get new. I might make a note of the lot # and all other info on the buckets, just in case.

mommycarlson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you Susie. It smells just fine. I used it in two batches of soap yesterday, it behaved normally and the soap looks perfect. I bought another bucket when I was at WM yesterday, it does not look like those two. This lard could have come from a warehouse that was in a warmer climate, would that have caused the texture change?

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
This lard could have come from a warehouse that was in a warmer climate, would that have caused the texture change?
I am not Susie, but maybe she will forgive me for jumping in; and in regards to your question, IMO that could be the case.

mommycarlson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you lsg. I have used the lard several times, in fact I just emptied the first bucket of it, the soap is fine, there was no off smell, it behaved just like the lard with the firmer texture.

Latest posts