Lard Substitute?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catbinch

Reaction score
Hello, I've been making soap pretty infrequently, and all of my bars have a LOT of lard in them (at least 45%). I personally love lard as its the most moisturizing oil i can easily access, but my issue is that lard doesnt keep very long (a little less than a year) and a lot of people where i live are really apprehensive of lard because "oh its greasy/not vegan." I was thinking lanolin but I dont know if I would have the same issues with lard or no. Thank you so much for reading my lard ramblings, lol

Lanolin is from sheep, so you won't be appeasing the vegans. I have never soaped with it, but I imagine because lanolin is a wax (? I think I read that somewhere) you won't be able to use it as a 1:1 substitute for lard. Are you able to keep the lard in the freezer? It will give you a better shelf life.

ETA: someone please correct me if I'm wrong about it being a wax.

The only replacements for Lard would be Palm or a mix of butters (Shea/Cocoa/Mango). Lard and Palm are pretty much interchangeable, but still needs to be run through a soap calculator. Using butters will require testing on amounts etc.....

...Ive actually never thought of putting lard in the freezer, lol. great idea! Pretty sure lanolin is a wax though!

Is palm oil terribly expensive? I might get a gallon off amazon and try it.

Would lanolin/palm oil work well with coconut oil?

...Ive actually never thought of putting lard in the freezer, lol. great idea! Pretty sure lanolin is a wax though!

Is palm oil terribly expensive? I might get a gallon off amazon and try it.

Would lanolin/palm oil work well with coconut oil?

I've never used lanolin in my soap. So, can't speak to that. Palm and CO work well together along with some other liquid oil (Avocado, OO, HO Sunflower, HO Safflower) and some castor. You can make a nice soap with those.

I use a lot of caution when using waxes in soaps - jojoba and beeswax are the only two I have used in very small percentages (less than 5%). Waxes have a lot-if-not-mostly unsaponifiables so they won't react with the lye. Adding in small amounts will help bar hardness, but you have to make sure it is well incorporated. Easier for jojoba, not so easy with beeswax. I usually end up with speckles of wax throughout my soaps. Lanolin is more balm-like, if I remember, so it may be easier to melt and incorporate with other oils. I have a container of it but have not used it or played with it. Again, I would keep it to very small percentages because of the unsaponifiables.

Hello, I've been making soap pretty infrequently, and all of my bars have a LOT of lard in them (at least 45%). I personally love lard as its the most moisturizing oil i can easily access, but my issue is that lard doesnt keep very long (a little less than a year) and a lot of people where i live are really apprehensive of lard because "oh its greasy/not vegan." I was thinking lanolin but I dont know if I would have the same issues with lard or no. Thank you so much for reading my lard ramblings, lol

IrishLass put together a blend of oils that simulate (or should I say emulate?) lard it the fatty acid profile. It's not a soap recipe on it's own, but a blend of non-animal fat oils to be a vegan replacement for lard within a given recipe. Here is a link to her post about that. Just to re-iterate, it is a blend of oils to be used to replace the same amount of lard in an existing recipe for which you want to replace the lard.

I definitely would not use lanolin as a substitute for lard. It's more of a special purpose ingredient than a main soaping fat. I'd suggest using lanolin at no more than 5% or so in soap. Be aware it does not saponify well and higher amounts can make the soap softer and leave the skin with a waxy or greasy feel after use.

I'd use Irish Lass' "faux lard" blend instead as a sub for lard.

Thank you all so much for the advice! I will definitely try the faux lard recipe, thanks!

Hi,
Something to bear in mind regarding using lanolin in soaps/ balms/ body butters - it is known to cause allergic reactions in some people. I personally stay away from it for that reason.

Last edited:
I would also recommend trying palm or tallow. Look for a brand of shortening called Spectrum - Wal-Mart carries it in my area. It is palm oil. For tallow, check out Great Value (Wal-Mart store brand) Shortening - not the all veg one. It is mostly tallow.

Absolutely true about lanolin, DeeAnna. I do use it in a couple of recipes, and find 5% to be perfect. But too many waxes do create a bendy, pliable strange feeling bar as well a an odd drag on the skin when washing.

Catbinch, for a vegan soap, soy wax is also good, but everyone keeps saying the price will go up soon. Soy wax can be used in larger amounts, and doesn't cause that drag or the soft bendy bars. My 30% soy wax soap with 3% castor is nice and hard. It's less than 2 months old at the moment and not as luxurious as I prefer a soap to be, so too early to determine if I like this particular recipe, but soy wax does give firm hard soap.

The spectrum brand of palm shortening is also sold in Target. I assume there are Target stores in the Denver area.

Lanolin is from sheep, so you won't be appeasing the vegans. I have never soaped with it, but I imagine because lanolin is a wax (? I think I read that somewhere) you won't be able to use it as a 1:1 substitute for lard. Are you able to keep the lard in the freezer? It will give you a better shelf life.

ETA: someone please correct me if I'm wrong about it being a wax.
Soapmakers companion says use no more than a teaspoon of lanolin per one pound of oil... In the chemistry sectiin it mentions lanolin is not a triglyceride so will never fully saponify...

https://books.google.ca/books?id=sX...nepage&q=soapmakers companion lanolin&f=false

TIP: I once ran out of shea butter as I was in the middle of putting a recipe together. I went to soap calc. I calculated 100% shea buter and the numbers showed up in the right column. Then I went through the list of oils/fats/butters ticking them one at a time (just the ones I had on hand). Those numbers showed up in the column to the left of the shea butter numbers. Easy to compare side-by-side. Lo and behold, lard numbers were almost identical to shea butter. I've been subbing lard for shea and vice versa ever since.

TIP: I once ran out of shea butter as I was in the middle of putting a recipe together. I went to soap calc. I calculated 100% shea buter and the numbers showed up in the right column. Then I went through the list of oils/fats/butters ticking them one at a time (just the ones I had on hand). Those numbers showed up in the column to the left of the shea butter numbers. Easy to compare side-by-side. Lo and behold, lard numbers were almost identical to shea butter. I've been subbing lard for shea and vice versa ever since.

Well that is interesting. I have never used shea in really large percentages like some people use lard in large percentages. Have you? And if so, how did the soap perform compared to lard soaps? Not that I am a fan of lard soaps, but I am just curious.

Back