Lard soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lee242

Reaction score
I have access to about 20# each lard and tallow.
Can I take a CP recipe and change some of the oils for lard and what oil or do I need to find lard recipes?
I haven't found any I like yet or mush info on it.
Also would like to find some recipes using the lard and tallow.
Here a couple recipes I kind of like.

Shaving Soap
325g Soy Wax (11.46 oz)
195g Coconut Oil (6.97 oz)
65g Cocoa Butter (2.3 oz)
65g Castor Oil (2.3 oz)
796g Water (28 oz)
44g Sodium Hydroxide (1.55 oz)
73g Potassium Hydroxide (2.61 oz)
Extra Additives
.2g of tussah silk (small pinch) (optional)
10g Sodium Lactate
20g Bentonite Clay
Not sure about all the wax.
Lucious Luxury Bar
Coconut Oil 21.16 oz
Olive Oil 30.86 oz
Jojoba Oil 3.53 oz
Palm Oil 26.46 oz
Beeswax .88 oz
Lanolin 1.76 oz
Lye 12 oz
Water Distilled 22.93 oz
Vitamin E 1/2 oz at Trace

What do you like about those recipes? Have you made either yet? As far as using lard/tallow, you can replace palm oil with either. My favorite basic bar is:

lard 50%
olive oil 25%
coconut oil 20%
castor 5%

You can make the 50%lard any combo of lard/tallow/palm that you like. I don't use palm anymore at all, only lard goes in my bar soap. Tallow I save for shaving soap.

The first one is shaving soap. Just seems like a lot of wax and I would like lard in it and less wax.
the second one is Lucious Luxury Bar I made for my wife. Haven't had a chance to use it yet I think it would be better wit lard.

I would suggest not to try lard in your shaving soap, tallow makes a much better shave soap. I tried replacing the tallow in my shave soap with lard and it was terrible. I've never used soy wax in shave soap but I could guess it does the same thing as stearic acid (also a wax) which is to make the lather stable so the bubbles don't pop or dry out.

If you want to try lard in the luxury bar, just replace the palm. Make sure to run it through a lye calc though.

If you can't find lard and/or tallow recipes on this forum using the search function, something is wrong.

Quoted for truth!

For shaving soaps in particular, there is a massive but wonderful thread. I'm on the app so I can't link to it, but if you google "songwind shave recipe site:soapmakingforum.com" it will lead you in the right direction.

As has been said, tallow is better than lard in a shaving soap

Latest posts

Back