Lard soap looks translucent

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ozarkscents

Reaction score
This is the first time I've seen my 100% lard (Walmart Armour lard) soap look so translucent. I poured it into the silicone mold at emulsion because the last time I made it, I soaped it too cool and it turned into a sludge mess that I had to rebatch. This time, I soaped it warm and poured at emulsion. I put it in a warm oven, covered, and then turned off the oven. I left the oven light on. I took it out after a day and a half and this is what it looked like.

I'm not sure what the white edging is, looks like ash, but doesn't come off.

I've actually never seen ANY of my soap look this translucent.

2exsrx0.jpg

Looks like ash to me too! It's interesting that it's so concentrated at the edges. Sometimes ash acts more like paint -- doesn't rub off easily. Nice soap -- well done!

The white parts are where the batter cooled off, including the center that seems to have gotten the last of the batter scraped from the bowl. It could be related to gel, but I think I've gotten some white mottling with lard even when it looked like full gel. Maybe it's where the lard actually did start to solidify a bit. Looks cool.

To me it looks almost like you achieved an insanely cool partial gel. You have to post the cut pictures!

I'm not sure at all what went on with this lard soap. There is a thin layer on the bottom that is more clear than the rest. Something settled out? Should I remove that bottom clear layer?

topofmurrayhill, I don't scrape the bottom of the soap out of the pot, so I don't know what that mottling is in the center. :-?

11hckdx.jpg

14895c.jpg

Latest posts

Back