Lard rendering approach affect smell of soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cherrycoke216

Reaction score
I know most people use commercial lard and not water rendering it. Thing is, I've seen a YouTube video of a local company's method of rendering lard. They fried the fats in huge pots, the "refined it" without visuals. But in their commercial, they said its water rendered lard.

Does this affect the final smell of your soap? I'm currently using FO and EO at 3 %. Haven't tried unscented lard soap. Does any of your lard claims to be water rendered or fried rendered? Do you find it smells piggy after 1 month or so?

I buy Armor lard. It is available in 4 lb or 25 lb amounts where I live. I used to buy lard at the Mexican shop when I lived in Louisiana. And as long as I avoid using it in laundry soap, the lardy smell is easily covered by whatever FO or EO I use.

I think the lard will smell stronger if you let it overheat. One time my crock pot decided to be nasty and overheated the whole batch, and not only did it discolor to a dull gray color but it also had a more noticeable smell. I usually melt my lard over a very gentle heat with some water to cushion, pour it into jars and stick it in the fridge to let it solidify. Once its cool I scrape the lard off the top of the container and leave the water behind. I think that is what they were talking about in regards to water rendering - the water will absorb all of the impurities which will sink to the bottom, while the clean lard will float to the top. Ive read that some people however are so sensitive to lard smell and will pick up no matter what you do, but I have never had a problem.
Hope it helps!

Last edited:
Don't over heat lard--> does mean it's no go for CPOP? Or it's ok if done in a lower temperature?

Don't over heat lard--> does mean it's no go for CPOP? Or it's ok if done in a lower temperature?

Just when you are rendering or melting it for a batch. CPOP to induce gel should be ok. You should not be over 200F when you CPOP so it should not overheat.

Back