Lard recipes

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Any favorite lard recipes anyone is willing to share with this new soaper?? I've been using and tweaking vegan recipes but the more I read I want to use lard....TIA if you're willing to share personal recipes or links!

Here is a real basic recipe I use. You can sub palm kernel oil for coconut. I use 8% superfat with this one since I have dry skin. If it seems like it might be too drying for you, increase the OO to 55% and lower the coconut to 15%

Olive oil 50%
Lard 25%
Coconut oil 20%
Castor 5%

Ok I'm trying to run this through brambleberry's lye calculator bc it's the only one I've been able to figure out how to figure out so far and it's not working bc I don't have a total weight of oils. How would I figure out water and lye amounts to use with a percentage recipe? I've been using recipes with the ounces already figured and have adjusted hose according to what I've wanted to accomplish.

Soapcalc is fairly easy to use and you can put in percentage. How large of a batch do you want to make?

On the calculator it says are you measuring in grams or ounces, there is a box to check for percentages instead. Then you just put in the % amount for each oil. Don't forget to set your superfat level at the bottom of the page.

Soapcalc is hieroglyphics to me. I'm sure it's simple once I'm shown but I just don't get it. Brambleberry I get and I even changed it to percentage and put the 8% super fat at the bottom so do I just put whatever amount I want in the "total oil weight" box or does it have to make sense in the total equation? I'm a math derp lol

Yeah, just put in the total weight of the batch you want. I generally do 32 ounces, not too small and not too big.

Ok, one more question...why so high on the super fatting? I'm used to 3%. Any particular reason for 8?

With 20% coconut, its too drying for me so I need a higher superfat. You can change the SF to whatever you like or think will work best for you. I have extremely dry skin, 8% SF is the lowest I can go.

I have used a recipe similar to Obsidian's (but a little less OO, and a little more lard) and I SF at 20%. I still got a nice, creamy lather, and my skin feels fantastic after a shower. I've only started using lard recently, but I love it!

I pretty much use the same as Obsidian. It is a good, basic, balanced bar.
Be sure to use some sort of EO or FO. Lard continues to smell porky to me if not scented. I love and adore lard soaps, but the smell is there.

I had a lot of trouble using SoapCalc also. I just let all those options intimidate me. Then I could never get the correct oil in the box. But one day I got mad at myself and sat down to learn it. Now it is my favorite. You can do it. Just hang in there.

I'm definitely an EO and FO girl! I always go for the stronger side of the fragrance calculator so hopefully any porky smell won't be an issue.

I'm taking Soapcalc as a personal challenge now! I will learn it lol. It's that dang water percentage in the beginning I'm like what??? Then it's just a maze from there on out.

Anywho thanks for being so helpful! I'm gettin' on the lard bandwagon

I've wanted to try lard soap for awhile. I asked my great-grandma how she made soap in her childhood, and she said they used wood ashes & lard. She also said it was the mildest soap she's ever used.

You are most welcome! I knew you could do it!

I can't help that I have a sensitive nose guys. It does not take much EO to cover it up, but the smell is certainly there before adding EO. And I LOVE soap with lard in it. To the point that I bought a 4lb bucket of the stuff the last time. I won't be making any more bar soap without lard.

I have a sensitive nose too but I can't smell the lard in this recipe, even if left unscented. A 100% lard soap definitely has a slight piggy smell though.
I love lard, even use a small amount in salt bars. I bought some palm to try and hate it, once its gone I will stick with lard. Another plus for lard is it slows down trace so you have more time for swirls.

I love Kathy Miller's page:
http://www.millersoap.com/soapanimal.html#BlendedCoc

Blended Soap Using Beef Shortening (or Lard)/With Coconut [SIZE=-2](Kathy Miller)[/SIZE]

45 oz. beef shortening
20 oz. olive oil
20 oz. coconut oil
12 oz. lye crystals
32 oz. cold water

I like to add some castor and some sunflower seed oil to this. I use lard, or half lard and half tallow.

I really like millersoap.com too :) Do you use lard in place of where she has beef shortening? I am planning on making lard soap tomorrow...can't wait!

Latest posts

Back