Lard Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I made 80% Lard, 20% CO. I wasn't that crazy about it. I like it much better with some Olive Oil and Castor Oil. Why not try both, then tweak it to suit yourself?

I arrived at my recipes by changing 5% of one oil for another oil. For example: 80% Lard, 15% Coconut Oil, 5% Castor Oil. Then 75% Lard, 20% CO, 5% Castor Oil, etc. Then after I figured out that Olive Oil might help my skin, I added that to the testing. 60% Lard, 15% CO, 20% Olive Oil, 5% Castor Oil. Then 65% Lard, 15% CO, 15% OO, 5% Castor Oil. Etc. And I went all the way from 100% Lard on down to 15% Lard just to perfect that recipe. And I did that with every ingredient I wanted to try. Lots of bars of soap, lots of testing. But I don't regret it. I now know exactly what each oil brings to the soap. And I can read a recipe and know how it will feel and act without having to make it myself.
This is amazing. Sounds like you have made a lot of soap. So.. with all your experience, you are confident on using this?

Lard 65%
Olive Oil 15%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Can I use Armour Lard from my local Walmart?

Thank you..

This is amazing. Sounds like you have made a lot of soap. So.. with all your experience, you are confident on using this?

Lard 65%
Olive Oil 15%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%

Can I use Armour Lard from my local Walmart?

Thank you..

Armour Lard is great. Many of us here use it including myself. That recipe will work. May not be very bubbly but will have a nice creamy lather. Add some sugar to help with bubbles. Dissolve first in your water before adding lye. I use lard in almost all my soaps. I love it.

Lard 65%
Olive Oil 15%
Coconut Oil 15%
Castor Oil 5%
This is basically my go-to recipe except I use Palm Oil instead of Olive Oil. The first batch I made of this has just finished curing so haven't tried it yet but fingers crossed.

I use this recipe almost exclusively. And almost always with Armour lard. As @Jersey Girl said, I do add sugar to my recipe at 28 g/500 g oils. Works a charm to boost suds. I have hard water now, so I also use EDTA @ 0.5%.
I just started (a year ago) adding citric acid to my soaps. To help with soap scum and I think it works. I add additional NaOH to counteract the increased super fat.

I hope you tried this recipe. I would be gentle but good.
I just cut (2 minutes ago) my first batch of soap I have ever made.

Lard 30%
Olive 35
Coconut 25
Avocado 5
Caster 5

My first soap please be kind. The white (TD) is loaded with glycerin rivers. Ill have to figure out what I did wrong.

Attachments

• 20200824_164539.jpg
    20200824_164539.jpg
    276.1 KB · Views: 80

Lard 30%
Olive 35
Coconut 25
Avocado 5
Caster 5

My first soap please be kind. The white (TD) is loaded with glycerin rivers. Ill have to figure out what I did wrong.
It's the amount of water you used. If you used "full" water, that is really a misnomer. There is no full amount of water, really. The predetermined amount of 38% water as a percentage of oils was originally intended for HP soaping where a lot of moisture is lost during the cook. CP soap just doesn't need that amount of water. This article may help.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...DDUp72c2PtXRSgvKu4LmUCt8-shNOb85xeiSaQRJUKqC4

Lard 30%
Olive 35
Coconut 25
Avocado 5
Caster 5

That's pretty nice, actually. TD is actually known for that so it might be best to tell us how much water and lye you used for your soap.

Lard 30%
Olive 35
Coconut 25
Avocado 5
Caster 5

Looks great! Personally, I love the glycerin rivers here!! Very unique and artistic look :thumbs:

That's pretty nice, actually. TD is actually known for that so it might be best to tell us how much water and lye you used for your soap.
Titanium Dioxide does not cause glycerin rivers - it enhances them. It's the water, which makes the soap heat up quicker and stay hot longer. If you look on YouTube for I Dream In Soap. She explains this process.

I used soapcalc.net. I wanted to make sure the batter stayed fluid long enough for me to make the pour, so I went for a high water percentage. 38% of oil. I could have discounted water and not forced gel via CPOP. I really didn't need need to force gel with a black and white swirl. Am I on the right track here with my thinking?

My bad but I also haven't really used it yet either. Either way, thanks. :)
Lisa from I dream in Soap has amazing in depth videos about water discounts and what it does to your soap.

I used soapcalc.net. I wanted to make sure the batter stayed fluid long enough for me to make the pour, so I went for a high water percentage. 38% of oil. I could have discounted water and not forced gel via CPOP. I really didn't need need to force gel with a black and white swirl. Am I on the right track here with my thinking?

Lisa from I dream in Soap has amazing in depth videos about water discounts and what it does to your soap.
Well, sort of.... More water, as I said previously makes the soap heat up quicker and stay hot longer. With excessive water, you need not CPOP, which actually could be a mess, because the soap can volcano. I do a steep water discount and in order to achieve full gel, I have to CPOP. This article explains water discounting well.

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=http...DDUp72c2PtXRSgvKu4LmUCt8-shNOb85xeiSaQRJUKqC4

Lard 30%
Olive 35
Coconut 25
Avocado 5
Caster 5

It looks great and I like the glycerin river. I had this problem all the time when I first started. I was told to reduce the amount of water so now I use a 2:1 water/lye mixture - I haven't had glycerin rivers since!

Back