Lard Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting, I've never tried citric acid. I normally add dead sea salt for hardness and sugar for bubbles.
Do you really add Dead Sea salt, or did you mean Himalayan Sea salt?

Dead Sea salt has so many minerals that it will make your soap a gooey, sweaty mess. All those minerals can also contribute to DOS. It is generally never used at all in making soap.

If you did use something labeled as “Dead Sea salt” without problems, then you probably have a mix that is mostly some other kind of salt, with a tiny sprinkling of Dead Sea salt for label appeal. I still wouldn’t use it.

Interesting, I've never tried citric acid. I normally add dead sea salt for hardness and sugar for bubbles. I'll have to try the citric acid. What's the amount you put in ppo?
I use 3%, and adjust my lye amount like what Dawni said on the classic bells website.

Do you really add Dead Sea salt, or did you mean Himalayan Sea salt?

Dead Sea salt has so many minerals that it will make your soap a gooey, sweaty mess. All those minerals can also contribute to DOS. It is generally never used at all in making soap.

If you did use something labeled as “Dead Sea salt” without problems, then you probably have a mix that is mostly some other kind of salt, with a tiny sprinkling of Dead Sea salt for label appeal. I still wouldn’t use it.

Yea, dead sea salt. I use HP method and dissolve it in the water before mixing the lye and have never had any issues but now that you say that I think I'll stop using it. I have Stearic acid but never used it in soap and haven't done the proper research to start.

Back