Lard Recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm slow this morning but RBO and DOS were correctly explained. I became interested in lard after some of the posters were calling themselves "lardy ladies" and additionally since I could get the lard at the grocery store rather than depend on mail order. I've been subbing different ingredients in each of my lard soaps as I want to find one or two combos that will satisfy my family. It took a while to soap enough to "get ahead of the pack" so to speak on curing but finally did it. None of my bars that I use are under 4 months old and I make sure that I do at least one or two batches a month now to keep ahead of the game. I may not be able to feel much of a difference between some of the formulas, but not a one of them leave my skin itchy or dry feeling. And they all have lard in them. I'm sold as far as lard.

Right on both accounts. I have new bottle of RBO on my shelf but haven't used it yet... still working with different oils to get a feel for them. DOS if I remember right can be caused by oils that don't have a long shelf life and can go rancid - there's lot of info available online about it.
One of the things you should watch out for is your linoleic and linolenic acid number (bottom right in Soap Calc) - if you keep that number at 14 or under, your soap should be fine. It's not a hard and fast rule - just a guideline.

I read that not too long ago so it's something I now try to remember to watch... thanks for the reminder!

I did a recipe that uses 30% Lard, 25% coconut, 15% Palm, 13% canola, 10% shea, and 7 % Castor and really love it. It turns out so nice each time I made it (made 4 different batches with 4 different colors and scents).

Attachments

• 87935174_495249574470728_7569621443902701568_o.jpg
    87935174_495249574470728_7569621443902701568_o.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 22
That sounds lovely. Hard bar, long lasting? Not too drying with that much coconut? Or does it offset the lard and shea muting the bubbles?

Hope

I've not had any complaints. I use it with no issue as does my family and friends an no complaints there either. Yes, it lasts just fine and is hard enough. I SF it at 4-5%. Makes good lather. I also use coconut milk in most my batches enhanced with powdered to make full milk. I use the split method for my milk soaps.

Where do you get goat's milk powder? It's very expensive where I live ($50 for 12 oz). Could I use 1//2 goat's milk in my lye/water mixture then add regular powdered milk to the batter?

Where do you get goat's milk powder? It's very expensive where I live ($50 for 12 oz). Could I use 1//2 goat's milk in my lye/water mixture then add regular powdered milk to the batter?
You could do the split method. Dissolve your lye in an equal amount of water. Let it cool and add your milk. This works great. You don’t have to freeze the milk and it doesn’t scorch.

I use a masterbatch of 1:1 so half is already water. I add the remaining liquid as milk - this time goat's milk. shunt2011 says she adds powdered milk to make the batch full milk which is the reason for my question.

I use a masterbatch of 1:1 so half is already water. I add the remaining liquid as milk - this time goat's milk. shunt2011 says she adds powdered milk to make the batch full milk which is the reason for my question.
That’s how I do it as well. But instead of goats milk, I usually add heavy cream (because that’s what I have in the house for coffee). Of course you can add powdered milk also. In that case I would add the powdered milk to the oils.

I get it at my grocery store or from Amazon. I can also sometimes get it at my bulk food store these days. I add the powdered mild to the liquid milk before adding it to my oils and stickblend it well. I've had the powdered milk get clumps. I wouldn't use powdered if it was that expensive. WoW! I've used powdered goat milk and coconut milk.

Where do you get goat's milk powder? It's very expensive where I live ($50 for 12 oz).
A can lasts a long time, but $50... that's almost 4x what I paid for mine. I buy mine on Amazon (Meyenberg brand), or from WSP (their brand) if I'm ordering other stuff from them. The Meyenberg brand is also sold in local stores near me, but is generally pricier there.

Thanks... So I assume it doesn't matter what kind of powdered milk I add?
I don't like the powdered cow milk. It is always non-fat, and to me, doesn't provide the same creaminess as goat milk. I've had others say that the powdered milk left a bad smell in their bars. I didn't have that experience, but more than one person has made that remark. But others use it all the time with no problem.

A can lasts a long time, but $50... that's almost 4x what I paid for mine. I buy mine on Amazon (Meyenberg brand), or from WSP (their brand) if I'm ordering other stuff from them. The Meyenberg brand is also sold in local stores near me, but is generally pricier there.

I don't like the powdered cow milk. It is always non-fat, and to me, doesn't provide the same creaminess as goat milk. I've had others say that the powdered milk left a bad smell in their bars. I didn't have that experience, but more than one person has made that remark. But others use it all the time with no problem.
Yeah, and that's from Amazon.ca... guessing it comes from the U.S. so there are add-ons for shipping, customs etc. And I have Prime! Sadly I checked and my Bulk Barn doesn't carry it. Liquid only it will be.

My lard soaps are almost 4 weeks old. I just started using one at the sink. Its wonderful. I love how it makes my hands feel. This recipe is

960g lard (armour) basically 2 loaves of lard and a couple plops from a third lol.
240g coconut oil

170g lye
456g distilled water.

i went to the store a few times over the last week and they are always out lately.

I made my first soap with lard! The recipe was the Simple Soap from soap queen, and all I did was a 1:1 replacement of the palm oil with the lard. It hardened in the mold very quickly, about 12 hours. I could've cut it sooner but I waited 18 before I cut it, and ended up getting some cracked edges unfortunately :\

It's been over a week since I started curing the bars, and it's very hard. It creates a nice lather and doesn't have any overpowering smell (I didn't add any fragrance) on the bar or the hands.

As you can see, I added cocoa to a portion of it to make some swirls, so I can't attest too strongly on the colour with/without gelling, but I think it'd be like the paler white parts all through if no colourants were to be added.

103856773_2551226091859173_3124824875645096478_n.jpg

Back