Lard or Tallow?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soapman Ryan

Reaction score
I've made soap with lard and like it's characteristics. If you have soaped with both, could you tell a difference between using tallow instead of lard?

Tallow makes a harder bar and a bit bigger bubbles. I personally like lard better, not only does it have a creamier lather but its easier to use. I suppose if I could buy pre-rendered tallow I would use it more but I can't, have to render it myself and its not worth it to me.

Tallow makes a harder bar and a bit bigger bubbles. I personally like lard better, not only does it have a creamier lather but its easier to use. I suppose if I could buy pre-rendered tallow I would use it more but I can't, have to render it myself and its not worth it to me.

I saw rendered tallow at essential depot, that's what got me thinking about trying it.

My preference is tallow. I get it at Soaper's choice in 50 pound cubes. Inexpensive (less than lard), makes a hard white bar and good lather. I used lard for a while but I think I overheated it a couple times. Pig-smelling soap was a big turn-off. I haven't had anything like that using tallow

My preference is tallow. I get it at Soaper's choice in 50 pound cubes. Inexpensive (less than lard), makes a hard white bar and good lather. I used lard for a while but I think I overheated it a couple times. Pig-smelling soap was a big turn-off. I haven't had anything like that using tallow

Great info. Do you hot process? I thought about adding tallow to my shave soap, and since I hot process my shave soap do I need to keep the tallow under a certain temp.?

I'm with Obsidian, lard has a creamier lather. I wanted to like tallow better since it has better label appeal, but my preference is lard also.

I've made soap with lard and like it's characteristics. If you have soaped with both, could you tell a difference between using tallow instead of lard?

You might want to give tallow a shot and see how you like it. Opinions vary from person to person. Soapers Choice has lard and beef tallow in 7lb jugs and both are the same price - cheap. Twice the price of the 50lb cube but still cheap to try and see if you like.

You peeps have got my wanting to now try lard in my shave soap. After I order tallow, I'll have to do two shave soap batches one with lard and the other with tallow to compare. Not sure why most shave soaps on the market have tallow instead of lard. It may because of label appeal, or tallow just preforms better with shave soaps.
I have never hot processed lard soap, does it stink?

Most commercial soaps I have seen always have tallow and not lard. There has to be a reason for preference there other than label appeal, because besides a small minority of people, a lot of people just choose soap based on smell or key words like "sensitive skin, fragrance free, moisturizing."

All of my goats milk soap contains Tallow. I love it! I sometimes mix both lard and tallow together too.

I never used tallow or lard, but I'd probably go for tallow. Lard sounds interesting, but I know a number of people who do not eat pork and a few of them are allergic to it. Plus, I already made a plant-based soap with a low, creamy lather.

I suspect tallow is used more because there is more of it and it's likely a cheaper price. Industrial soap makers choose the cheapest and most consistent supply.

I don't hot process. The melting point of tallow is 95 degrees, I think but I don't know at what point it would be considered overheated or if would smell beefy if you did. I made lard soaps that didn't smell because I kept the temps lower, but for me, once I overheated it a couple times, it's almost like my brain would TRY to find that scent and so I gave it up. I like bubbly lather a bit more than creamy so tallow works for me. I can see for shave soap why creamier lather might go over better.

You can get a pound of lard at the grocery store in the baking section, by the shortening, and try it for under $2.

newbie - I'm considering the 50lb cube of tallow from Soaper's Choice. Can you give me any details on how it's packaged? Is it just a 50lb cube packed in a plastic bag? I'm in Alabama so trying to hold off ordering until the temps are cooler . . . don't want a 50lb bag of liquified tallow showing up on my doorstep!

I prefer lard as I LOVE the way it feels on my skin. I can't compare to tallow because I have never used it. Has me thinking...

I have soaped both and prefer lard's more conditioning traits; it also seems to be slower tracing than tallow. As for harder, adding coconut is fine for that.

A good way to compare oils is to use SoapCalc's features. Double-click on an oil to enter in the Recipe Oil List (for example Lard) as 100% and hit Calculate button. Then single-click on a comparison oil (in this case, Tallow), but don't select.

The double-clicked oil's characteristics will show up on the Soap Qualities list for "All" column, and the single-clicked oil appears in the "One" column, making it easier to see which oil has more of the fatty acids and soap qualities you want.http://www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Back