Lard or Coconut Laundry Soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
As I was running out of my laundry detergent made with 100% CO soap, I knew today would be the day I had to make more. I decided last minute to make a 100% Lard soap and see how the two compare, as I have seen laundry bars for sale that are Lard. I did the same as with the CO and made it with 0% sf and it is in the mold now. So just out of curiosity, have you tried both and if so, which do you prefer?

As I was running out of my laundry detergent made with 100% CO soap, I knew today would be the day I had to make more. I decided last minute to make a 100% Lard soap and see how the two compare, as I have seen laundry bars for sale that are Lard. I did the same as with the CO and made it with 0% sf and it is in the mold now. So just out of curiosity, have you tried both and if so, which do you prefer?

I'm afraid I took the chicken's way out - I do half and half so I don't have to decide for one over the other!

100% lard is an old fashioned classic laundry soap so we know it works. I choose to combine with coconut oil simply based on my very un-researched opinion that since coconut oil soap strips oils from human skin - then it might be beneficial washing oil from clothing.
I'm very happy with it, and I need to make more soon myself.

I'm afraid I took the chicken's way out - I do half and half so I don't have to decide for one over the other!

100% lard is an old fashioned classic laundry soap so we know it works. I choose to combine with coconut oil simply based on my very un-researched opinion that since coconut oil soap strips oils from human skin - then it might be beneficial washing oil from clothing.
I'm very happy with it, and I need to make more soon myself.

After I finished making it, I thought that next time I would do the 50/50 split, that way I have a comparison of all three, you know, for RESEARCH purposes.:)

I find I can smell the lard on my clothes once they come out of the dryer if I use soap made with lard. It might just be me, though.

I didn't even think of that being a possibility. Maybe it won't be noticeable :( I may be investing in lots of fabric softener or scent crystals to mask the smell. :)

Last edited:
I've tried both but I prefer the coconut oil laundry soap. It wasn't a huge difference but I feel like the clothes were cleaner with the CO and I ended up with less dinginess over time, meaning the whites stayed whiter for longer. It also put me off that, since I make a lot a double batch each time, the lard laundry detergent turned pink over time. For some reason, it made me feel like the soap was off even though it smelled fine and it was 0% SF.

Well, today I unmolded (I used a cavity mold) and started shredding. Right away, I notice the lard soap is softer and more oily than the CO was at the same time. It is also still really moist?, so I shredded, but it gummed up my blender when I tried to process it down finer, even with the washing soda, so I will wait a day or so and see if it dries out better.

Well, today I unmolded (I used a cavity mold) and started shredding. Right away, I notice the lard soap is softer and more oily than the CO was at the same time. It is also still really moist?, so I shredded, but it gummed up my blender when I tried to process it down finer, even with the washing soda, so I will wait a day or so and see if it dries out better.

That's typical of lard soap. I always wondered why people said grate your laundry soap soon after making - I cured mine well and still had gumminess when I powdered it in the food processer. I added some of the washing soda to it as I processed it and that helped a lot.

But yours isn't cured and I don't know how much that will help.

That's typical of lard soap. I always wondered why people said grate your laundry soap soon after making - I cured mine well and still had gumminess when I powdered it in the food processer. I added some of the washing soda to it as I processed it and that helped a lot.

But yours isn't cured and I don't know how much that will help.

Those instructions pertain mainly to CO because it quickly hardens to the point that it's difficult to grate.

I haven't tried making lard laundry soap, but I'm thinking a steep water discount wouldn't hurt. I used a 40% lye solution. Sodium lactate or acetate should be helpful too because it shortens soap -- an old-timey term (borrowed from baking) that means it makes it more brittle and crumbly. I used some with my CO but it wasn't really needed.

Doesn't help now but a few thoughts for future laundry lard.

After using the lard laundry soap, I have determined that I really like the CO better. Overall, it is just much easier to deal with. It is ready to be shredded the next day and is not soft like the lard. Also, the lard didn't break up as fine and there were several clumps of it left, even after processing twice--- I think it was because the lard soap wasn't cured and it would probably be ok if I had let it cure, but CO is just so much easier for me because it is ready to go the next day. Anyway I just wanted to post my observations.

Those instructions pertain mainly to CO because it quickly hardens to the point that it's difficult to grate.

I haven't tried making lard laundry soap, but I'm thinking a steep water discount wouldn't hurt. I used a 40% lye solution. Sodium lactate or acetate should be helpful too because it shortens soap -- an old-timey term (borrowed from baking) that means it makes it more brittle and crumbly. I used some with my CO but it wasn't really needed.

Doesn't help now but a few thoughts for future laundry lard.[/QUOT

I tried a 100% co laundry soap and found I still prefer to wait until its hard to grate it about 2 wks for this recipe. I forgot to reduce the lye concentration, but I've got to think that would help some.

I like the 100% co better for laundry than the 50/50 lard/co. It dissolves faster even though it wasn't run through a food processor- my habit is to add the soap to a pitcher of hot water as I sort clothes.

TOMH, as for "shortening" soap - I've tried sodium lactate in lard recipes (usually 50%+ lard) and found the soap was mealy until it started to cure.
Because this recipe was divided and mixed with 2 different fo's, I assumed it was the sodium lactate that caused it?

I have been making my own powered laundry detergent with a bar of Nehls soap.

If anyone would so kind as to share the recipe you are talking about I would love to give it a try.
Thanks

The standard CP laundry soap (or any household cleaning) is 100% CO or 100% lard or 50/50 split between the 2. You don't want any oils left over in the laundry or cleaning the floor so SF is 0.

I make 100% CO, SF -1, (still comes out with neg zap) cut it at about 3 hours after molding, shred it the next day. Let the shreds air dry for a week or 2 then put in the food processor to make a finer powder. Mix with washing soda and/or oxy-clean and/or borax.

Thanks

The standard CP laundry soap (or any household cleaning) is 100% CO or 100% lard or 50/50 split between the 2. You don't want any oils left over in the laundry or cleaning the floor so SF is 0.

I make 100% CO, SF -1, (still comes out with neg zap) cut it at about 3 hours after molding, shred it the next day. Let the shreds air dry for a week or 2 then put in the food processor to make a finer powder. Mix with washing soda and/or oxy-clean and/or borax.

So ... does anyone make and use liquid soap for their laundry?

All of the discussion here is about solid bars that are then processed with Borax, washing soda, etc. Which is fine ... I'm just curious and all.

-Dave

Back