Lard/OO/Castor

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bamagirl

Reaction score
Tomorrow, I plan on making a batch of soap with the following:

75% Lard
20% OO
5% Castor

No fo, but I might 1 tsp ppo sugar for bubbles, but I haven't made up my mind on that yet. Anyone made this and got some feedback on it?

No, but I suspect it will be lovely. I usually use about 40% lard when I do, and even at that level, it's a really nice bar of soap.

Are you planning to whip it to make floating soap?

Is it s body bar or something else?
I make facial bar and my recipe is similar. I change it around, but basically, it is 60-70% tallow (or lard), 5% castor and rest OO, shea butter, almond or avocado oils. No FO, no sugars, 0% SF.
There is no coconut oil on purpose, as it's too harsh for my face.
It's got decent, creamy lather. It cures for aaaages... I make 500gr batch and it lasts me the whole year. :)
There is almost to none SF in my bars, so you have to bear in mind that high SF will reduce lather a bit if there's no CO.

I'd like that as a gentle facial bar.
I've done up to 80% lard - but the rest was 15% coconut, 5% castor. BUT my facial bar of choice right now is 100% OO, so I bet your recipe would be lovely. All depends on what you want it to do.

Are you planning to whip it to make floating soap?

What is floating soap? Now that sounds interesting.

Is it s body bar or something else?
I make facial bar and my recipe is similar. I change it around, but basically, it is 60-70% tallow (or lard), 5% castor and rest OO, shea butter, almond or avocado oils. No FO, no sugars, 0% SF.
There is no coconut oil on purpose, as it's too harsh for my face.
It's got decent, creamy lather. It cures for aaaages... I make 500gr batch and it lasts me the whole year. :)
There is almost to none SF in my bars, so you have to bear in mind that high SF will reduce lather a bit if there's no CO.

Something I want to try as a body bar, but for my SIL, the first batch she tried had CO and it was drying for her skin, so I thought I'd play around with something else and see what happens, then once I decided on this recipe, I started thinking I may really like it as well.

I was thinking 5% sf, as that is what I usually use and I am a creature of habit. What sf do you use? I was under the impression if I didn't sf, soap would be more harsh or drying?

If it was my recipe I'd put a little coconut oil in. BUT that's just me.

The recipe you have will be a mild soap. Expect a couple of months cure time to start with

Wow, glad you mentioned that on the cure time as I was thinking 4-6 weeks since there was so much lard.

That should be a lovely rich, creamy lather. I would also add a bit of CO, but that is just me.

I'd like that as a gentle facial bar.
I've done up to 80% lard - but the rest was 15% coconut, 5% castor. BUT my facial bar of choice right now is 100% OO, so I bet your recipe would be lovely. All depends on what you want it to do.

My first two batches were a combo of Lard, CO, OO and Castor, but it was too drying for my SIL and we are *thinking* it may have been the CO, so I decided to try to come up with something else. Then when it dawned on me to just leave out the CO and up the Lard, it got me intrigued and thinking I would probably like this as well, so that sealed the deal. Besides, I've only got two batches curing, so I must make more! :)

What is floating soap? Now that sounds interesting.

Something I want to try as a body bar, but for my SIL, the first batch she tried had CO and it was drying for her skin, so I thought I'd play around with something else and see what happens, then once I decided on this recipe, I started thinking I may really like it as well.

I was thinking 5% sf, as that is what I usually use and I am a creature of habit. What sf do you use? I was under the impression if I didn't sf, soap would be more harsh or drying?

I use 0% in my facial bars and 1-2% in my body bars, most recently 0% for body bars too.
I used to go as high as 5%. Since using low SF I did notice difference in lather and longevity of the bars, however, they didn't become drying.
Everyone's skin is different, you can play around with SF and see what suits you and your family the best. :)

I use 0% in my facial bars and 1-2% in my body bars, most recently 0% for body bars too.
I used to go as high as 5%. Since using low SF I did notice difference in lather and longevity of the bars, however, they didn't become drying.
Everyone's skin is different, you can play around with SF and see what suits you and your family the best. :)

I may experiment with that as well. Good thing I only make 1 lb batches still, otherwise I would already have too much soap (if there is such a thing)!

Floating soap is one that you whip (use balloon whisk attachment on stick blender) once it reaches heavy trace. (I think.) That introduces air and leaves you with floating soap. You may have to HP it and whip once it reaches gel stage. This is not a beginner technique, so wait until you get more batches under your belt.

You can leave the CO out of the recipe. I would, if she found lard, CO, OO, Castor drying. I would also use 8% SF to lessen the drying potential.

Floating soap is one that you whip (use balloon whisk attachment on stick blender) once it reaches heavy trace. (I think.) That introduces air and leaves you with floating soap. You may have to HP it and whip once it reaches gel stage. This is not a beginner technique, so wait until you get more batches under your belt.

You can leave the CO out of the recipe. I would, if she found lard, CO, OO, Castor drying. I would also use 8% SF to lessen the drying potential.

Looks like I will need to put floating soap in my "to try" file for later. I am still learning good technique and haven't even started using my fos much (although this also has to do with the fact that I really like unscented soap). But, it does sound interesting.

Youtube videos always make it look so easy! I will be bookmarking this for if/when I decide to give it a try!

Latest posts

Back