Lard HP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vickymejia4

Reaction score
Hello friends,

I made for the first time lard soap last night. I like the results: very white bars, affordable and simple. I would like to hear your opinions on Lard Soap. Pls comment.
Thank you, have a soapy weekend

Lard is nice slows trace but I never use it over 25% because it goes dossy for me even with low superfatting and lathers poorly. Ask Obsidian my 100% lard experiments. :eek: I love it with a tallow/lard combo or even palm/lard combo with CO and soft oils of choice

Really yours went bad? Mine went super good. And I love it how the white color it is so white

Attachments

• A9F7F793-1E32-48B0-8753-D970FFA87798.jpeg
    A9F7F793-1E32-48B0-8753-D970FFA87798.jpeg
    216.5 KB · Views: 16
  • F044DF4A-D8FD-4AE8-A08C-8AFAF082CF30.jpeg
    F044DF4A-D8FD-4AE8-A08C-8AFAF082CF30.jpeg
    232.4 KB · Views: 15
Rancidity or DOS (dreaded orange spots) doesn't show up overnight -- it takes awhile for rancidity to develop and become obvious. It takes time to learn about what works and what does not, so we caution beginners to not think a month or two of experience is all they need to become experienced soap makers. It's nice your soap turned out well, but this early in the game, you simply don't know if yours will remain fine in the long run. Carolyn (cmzaha) has years of experience with her soap and knows what works for her and what doesn't.

Still be happy. There are many members who use lard with no issues.
I've never had a lard soap go bad but high olive oil and I get DOS within a couple months.

Sometimes DOS just happens and we do our best to find the cause and eliminate it. Something to help prevent it are.

1. Don't cure soap on metal racks, it reacts badly
2. Make sure they have good air flow. Don't lock them up in a small space while curing.
3. Keep humidity lower. You don't want to store them in a bathroom or kitchen.
4. Keep cool if possible, you don't want your soap sitting in the sun.

Keep good notes. If you do ever get DOS, don't let it get you down. It happens to us all. Re-evaluate your recipe and storage practices and make changed as needed.

I will also mention many of my soaps can still be around for a year before they sell and many times the lard soaps especially if there is also GM will get an old smell even without DOS. Lard also varies greatly by brand, the worst for me when testing was Farmer John's Manteca brand.

Back