Lard and Tallow

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSilver

Reaction score
I asked my local butcher to save it some lard and Tallow for me when we had some animals butchered. I asked for separate bags........ They gave it to me in one bag. I think I separated it out. Is there a difference in lye values? I plugged each in to lye calculator but didn't see much difference.
Can I mix them or is it best to separate?

The "already rendered" tallow and lard I've used has a noticeable difference in appearance and texture. Does that seem to be the case for the fats you received? You sorted it out as best you could? If so, then I wouldn't worry about a small amount of mixed fats in your recipe, provided you use a recipe with a superfat. There is a difference in sap value, but again...a minor mixing of the fats wouldn't be an issue.

Been there, done that! I did use a standard 5% sf when I knew my tallow and lard were mixed (scooped out a spoon of lard instead of tallow).

Yeah. I didn't realize my butcher had done the same thing back in the day when I rendered my own. I think I just used the tallow value. I like a lower sf, and if I remember correctly tallow has a higher sap value, but not by much.

By my calculations, it didn't lower my sf level by much, even if it was half tallow half lard (which it wasn't, it was mostly tallow).

If you want to be on the safe side, take the one that has a lower sap value, and use that. So if it takes less lye to saponify lard, you use 40% of the mixture in your recipe, then just make it as lard in the calculator. Your super fat will be a little bit higher but not by much.

Disclaimer, it has been a while, and I say I think lard has a lower sap value, but you better double check. I could be wrong:)

I just made identical batches of soap this weekend, one lard and the other with tallow, to compare. The lye required for each batch was so close I expect you won't have an issue as long as you have at least a couple percentages of SF.

Thank you for your answers!! This weekend I will make soap with the "lard" I rendered. I'll grind the Tallow tomorrow and render it.

I show 0.141 for lard and 0.143 for tallow as the sap values. Of course individual batches could vary by that much when home rendering.

Using the 0.141 value will give a very slight increase in SF- like 1 % for every 10% of "lard" used in the recipe IF the "lard" is 100% tallow. Even at 100% of these fats the SF would be below 10%.

Yes, I just did the math....

I show 0.141 for lard and 0.143 for tallow as the sap values. Of course individual batches could vary by that much when home rendering.

Using the 0.141 value will give a very slight increase in SF- like 1 % for every 10% of "lard" used in the recipe IF the "lard" is 100% tallow. Even at 100% of these fats the SF would be below 10%.

Yes, I just did the math....

You are my math hero... I certainly wasn't going there.

Back