Lard and labeling

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrightMeadows

Reaction score
Hi guys, can you tell me what to do for labeling when my lard says "BHT and Citric acid added to improve stability?" Do I need to add BHT and Citric acid to the ingredient list? If so, how should I do so? Should it be like: "Olive oil, lard (contains BHT and citric acid for stability), coconut oil, etc, etc.?" Or does that need to be tweaked a bit? I'm really hoping I don't have to include that info, but I probably do. I checked out a bunch of lard soaps on Etsy and couldn't find a single one that included the BHT and citric acid in their ingredients list, which means either they are all rendering their own lard, or not listing it.

Thanks!

Do I need to add BHT and Citric acid to the ingredient list?
Interesting question! In lo these many years of soap groups/forums that's a new one on me! Since you have a lot more latitude when labeling soap vs. cosmetics, I should think you are free to decide whether to add it in or not. You could use the same words as it says on the box, "BHT and Citric acid added to improve stability."

FYI, are you aware that SoapCalc gives INCI nomenclature for your soap formulas? Just for fun, calculate 100% lard and see what comes up. Look for the button on the upper right of the View page. ;)

I do not add the BHT to my soap labels. You have no way of knowing the percentage. The usage percentage of BHT is 0.01-1% so you will get a very small amount in your soap

In Australia we are required to list all of the ingredients (soap here is covered under cosmetics regulations), so this advice is necessarily country specific.

Because the amount is under 1%, we can list it at the end of the ingredients list, and the order of listing of these sub-1% ingredients does not need to be in strict quantity order.

BrightMeadows, this information would only be relevant to you if you are are selling internationally (your laws differ from mine on soap labelling).

That is an interesting question, and I agree with SaltedFig, it depends on where you sell AND also on your desire to be (or not to be) all-inclusive with your labeling practices.

Apparently in the US & Canada, BHT was found to be 'safe in current usage rates' in cosmetics (at the time, it was 2002 in the US, so not sure if that's still 'current'). In reading this it seems rather vague to me because they were evaluating the usage rates of both BHA & BHT in cosmetics, not soap specifically. Still, if the usage rate in food is less than or equal to the usage rate in soap, it certainly seems as though it must be safe in soap (according to the US & Canada - at that time.)

Still, there are people who don't want to buy products that contain BHT, so it's a valid consideration when you are planning to sell. My suggestion would be to know your customer base. But also, when a customer is concerned about BHT, I would hope they are well enough informed that they might wonder & possibly ask if the lard used in the soap making was store bought (thus probably contained BHT) or home-rendered.

Latest posts

Back