Lard and duck fat

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you. It's better to add beewax or honey. What is their own properties ?
Honey will add to the lather which I think will be good for your particular soap since you don't have coconut oil. Beeswax helps with hardness but I don't think you will need it with your oils, I would use honey not Beeswax

I could see really hard water and really old plumbing eventually having issues. In my opinion, most households can handle regular usage of homemade soap without stressing that they might be damaging their plumbing. But hey, like you said, why not use a lower SF and chelators to minimize risk and save yourself some elbow grease! Speaking of which, I’m going to search the forum after work to see if there are any threads where people share how they clean soap scum..

Yes! Lol, There may be no such thing as “perfect” soap, but you know what, I’m going to keep on trying!! 😆 A person can dream, right? ☺
But not everyone has city plumbing, and even then it's not all the same as you may be used to in your experience.

For several years I lived in a city in California with very old city pipes (made of clay) leading into my house that was 100 years old when I bought it. Later on, I lived in a house in the country with no city plumbing at all. We had a septic system, so it was important to be careful of what went down the pipes. Again I live in a small rural town in a house over a hundred years old, with very old pipes except in the newer addition (visibly 'ancient' pipes in the basement - I suspect lead, but they could be clay.)

Not all municipalities use the same plumbing Code, even within the US, but particularly this is true in various other countries. I have traveled extensively in Mexico, were plumbing is far different than here, and not even TP was to be put down some of the pipes in some areas with plumbing. I don't have any clue what the plumbing codes are in the Philippines, or India, or Europe, but I suspect many of the plumbing infrastructures are even older than ours and may possibly be impacted even more so as related to what excess fat in the lines may cause.

And this (SMF) is an international community

But not everyone has city plumbing, and even then it's not all the same as you may be used to in your experience.

For several years I lived in a city in California with very old city pipes (made of clay) leading into my house that was 100 years old when I bought it. Later on, I lived in a house in the country with no city plumbing at all. We had a septic system, so it was important to be careful of what went down the pipes. Again I live in a small rural town in a house over a hundred years old, with very old pipes except in the newer addition (visibly 'ancient' pipes in the basement - I suspect lead, but they could be clay.)

Not all municipalities use the same plumbing Code, even within the US, but particularly this is true in various other countries. I have traveled extensively in Mexico, were plumbing is far different than here, and not even TP was to be put down some of the pipes in some areas with plumbing. I don't have any clue what the plumbing codes are in the Philippines, or India, or Europe, but I suspect many of the plumbing infrastructures are even older than ours and may possibly be impacted even more so as related to what excess fat in the lines may cause.

And this (SMF) is an international community

Those are excellent points. I’m sorry if I came off as trying to advise all people on their personal and regional plumbing. At least 2/3rds of humans live outdoors in open air shelters with no plumbing, so I wasn’t trying to encompass everyone across the globe, but this is an international forum so I need to be more specific when I post.

*Disclaimer:
I’m not a doctor, I’m just some guy on the internet sharing my opinions 😆

I’m sorry I hijacked this thread. I didn’t mean to. I have a habit of getting distracted and this is the first forum I’ve participated with in over a decade, so I’m learning to reel it in 🎣😉

Last edited:
Chicken fat made my soap softer but other than that I can't refer anything more: it was a small batch used soon after 6 weeks cure.

Latest posts

Back