Lapis Lazuli Ultramarine Pigment in CP Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sweetmeat

Reaction score
Hi all,

Recently, my soapmaking partner and I were able to procure a lovely ultramarine pigment made from real ground lapis lazuli stones (a very fine grain, 0 - 50 š›). As well as being amateur soapmakers, we also share a love for gems, minerals, and crystals. Weā€™ve been discussing using the lapis lazuli in a cold process soap, along with food-grade 24 karat gold flakes / leaf for accent (just to be extra decadent).

Before we embark on an experimental soapmaking adventure, we are wondering if anyone has had experience using this kind of pigment in a cold process soap before? We would dilute the pigment powder with a small amount of distilled water or some kind of oil. However, we are wondering if anyone has advice on pre-mixing the pigment, the amount that we should use in relation to the base oils, and the timing of the addition of the pigment into the batter. Would it be similar to a mica pigment?

We love gems, and just to say we made a soap with them would be pretty rad! Any advice, anecdotes, or warnings would be much appreciated, as we havenā€™t found much guidance online so far.

Thanks!

PS: We have a tried, tested, and true CP recipe for soap bars with 40% Olive, 35% Coconut, 20% Home-rendered Beef Tallow, and 5% Castor.We also have a locally produced, spicy, rich, and herbaceous balsam poplar EO that seems like it would go very well with a blue and gold soap (at least in my mind's eye!).

Do a test batch

Researching the chemical makeup of the mineral that you want to include
Will help you make knowledgeable guesses

The iron content in Lapis might cause DOS (Dreaded Orange Spots)
(thats a guess tho - doesn't always happen)

The sulphur content in Lapis might cause some scent issues
Neem oil has a similar problem

Your recipe sounds nice
Some folk might find 35% coconut a bit stripping (mine would protest the olive oil - different skins for different folk)

A small test batch will help you find out if any of these are issues with Lapis Lazuli
Colour-wise, I cannot see why it wouldn't work

Your design sounds decadent
Love it šŸ„°

We have a tried, tested, and true CP recipe for soap bars with 40% Olive, 35% Coconut, 20% Home-rendered Beef Tallow, and 5% Castor.
:cool: Cool! Good on ya!
We also have a locally produced, spicy, rich, and herbaceous balsam poplar EO that seems like it would go very well with a blue and gold soap (at least in my mind's eye!).
Um, I believe that would be your mind's "nose" -- as in "that herbaceous balsam EO mind-smells yummy to me". šŸ˜„

ETA: All I know about lapis lazuli powder is the awesome blue it makes when mixed with medium for oli painting. Some ultramarines smell like rotten eggs (sulpher?) when used in soap. I have no experience with them so I can't say that's for sure -- so don't let that curb your enthusiasm. :)

Last edited:
The iron content in Lapis might cause DOS (Dreaded Orange Spots)
(thats a guess tho - doesn't always happen)

The sulphur content in Lapis might cause some scent issues
Neem oil has a similar problem

Yes, this is good advice and I suppose it would be a risk of using minerals as a pigment in soap. A few test batches are definitely required to see what kind of effect the minerals in the lapis (and the gold) would have on the final product in terms of smell and DOS.

Um, I believe that would be your mind's "nose" -- as in "that herbaceous balsam EO mind-smells yummy to me". šŸ˜„

Hahaha I love this! Mind's nose! šŸ˜‚

Latest posts

Back