lanolin oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgsample

Reaction score
I know lanolin is supposed to look semi-solid, like Vaseline, but what I've found is lanolin oil. Label says 100% lanolin? Can that be used in soap? I plan to make a hot process shaving soap. Thanks,

Hi Cgsample!

I found something for you on the difference between lanolin liquid and lanolin semi-solid:

http://www.texasnaturalsupply.com/Lanolin-Semi-Solid-p/lnln-es.htm

I actually have both kinds of lanolin on hand, but I've only used them in lip balms so far, which makes for an awesome lip balm, by the way. For what its worth, both behave the same and feel the same in my balm. The liquid kind that I have is from the health-food store and is made by the NOW company. The semi-solid lanolin that I have is made by Lansinoh, which is a pure, hypoallergenic lanolin.

I personally would have no qualms about using either one in soap, and have actually been meaning to try it specifically in shave soap, but I just haven't done it yet. I am going to be using it at 5%, as part of the actual oils amount.

For either one, I would use the SAP listed on SoapCalc for lanolin liquid wax: The NaOH SAP# is .076, and the KOH SAP# is .106.

HTH!
IrishLass :)

Latest posts

Back