Lanolin and Lather

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Has anyone tried lanolin in soap? I quit making lip balm (only because I stopped using it), so I have almost half a pound of lanolin left. I would love to use it in soap.

I have used it in mechanics soap. Be careful not to overdo it or you will have sticky soap and hands.

I used lanolin in my last batch of shave soap (thanks to the good examples set by Lee Bussey and The Gent) at 5% of the total oils. I can feel a faint, pleasant coating of lanolin on my skin after I build up a lather with my hands and then rinse it off. This is distinctly different than my previous shave soaps w/o lanolin. I like the skin conditioning the lanolin provides. It might add some slickness and density to the lather, but that's just my very informal opinion. I don't think I'd want to add more than 5% however. I agree w lsg -- a little lanolin goes a long ways.

I used lanolin in my last batch of shave soap (thanks to the good examples set by Lee Bussey and The Gent) at 5% of the total oils. I can feel a faint, pleasant coating of lanolin on my skin after I build up a lather with my hands and then rinse it off. This is distinctly different than my previous shave soaps w/o lanolin. I like the skin conditioning the lanolin provides. It might add some slickness and density to the lather, but that's just my very informal opinion. I don't think I'd want to add more than 5% however. I agree w lsg -- a little lanolin goes a long ways.

Exactly this!

DH has been testing out my shave soap recipes, and he always thinks *something* is missing when I leave out lanolin... Even at 2% he notices a difference although he has no idea what is in each batch.

Other benefits reported by him: less razor burn and he can work longer outside in the winter without his skin feeling chapped.

Very informative, really interesting discussion!

I wish I could get anywhere near lanolin in lotions or soaps, but break out in a bad rash even at small amounts. Another reason I won't buy anything without ingredients listed! :evil:

Oddly enough I work with sheep fleece for felted soaps and no reaction at all, go figure.

Last edited:
As a retired hairstylist with 26 years in the industry. I can tell you that lanolin is a softener commonly found in most shampoo's & conditioners.

Latest posts

Back