Lake dyes in CP soap?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atiz

Reaction score
So, I'm not a mica kind of person, or rather, have not used any because didn't think it was necessary and I also liked experimenting with natural colorants. (I only make soap for myself + occasionally friends.)
But recently a friend asked me to make her some lavender soap, and I thought it would be fun to have some purple in it. While I love madder and alkanet root, they are a bit unreliable when it comes to predictable and lasting color. (With alkanet I have had all kind of mixed luck so far ranging from military green to blue and yes, to purple.)
I would rather not order micas just for one batch of soap. I make quite a lot of handwash and other syndet things for myself, and have some lake dyes for those. Would lake dyes work in CP soap? Has anyone tried them? I have my dyes from TKB trading and they are extremely potent at least in syndet products. (By 'extremely' I mean you need about 3 miniature sized bits of powder to color 16 oz of liquid.)
I'd be curious to hear of any (good or bad) experience.

I have not used them, but I have seen somewhere, perhaps it was SoapQueen on Youtube, that lake dyes will bleed in soap. Meaning if you make any design, let's say purple with white swirls, the purple will start to bleed into the white.

I can see if I can find the video where I have it from

Thank you all! And thanks @earlene for that article, that's the kind of thing I was looking for.
I'm not planning on very intricate swirls so bleeding is less of a worry; I just wasn't sure that dyes and lye play well together. Apparently, according to the linked article, they don't always and colors can morph. But it will be worth an experiment.

Latest posts

Back