Ladder

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all, first, I’m fine. On Monday of this week I was on a stepladder putting up a barrier to keep phoebes from nesting on a ledge on my porch, when the ladder collapsed underneath me. The aluminum leg literally bent as I was standing on it. I was on the second or third step (not sure) so not too high, but I was not able to catch myself, fell backwards, and hit my head on the porch. I know…. So scary. I did not lose consciousness but the sound was awful. My husband is away, so I was on my own. I lay on the porch saying out loud “you’re ok, you’re ok, you’re ok” for about five minutes. Other than two bruised fingers, a scraped elbow, and the head bonk I was okay.
I was at my son‘s house to babysit yesterday telling my DIL about it and she made me aware that I actually had a big bruise on my forehead. I thought I had landed on the back of my head but I guess not. I decided yesterday to go to urgent care and really lucked out on wait times - received excellent prompt care. They did a CAT scan and everything checked out fine. Maybe a mild concussion but as the provider said they wouldn’t know that from the cat scan. Lying on the table I was thinking of @Catscankim 😊. By the way how’s it going down there? Maybe you should move to New Hampshire. It’s lovely up here. 😄👍

Hi all, first, I’m fine. On Monday of this week I was on a stepladder putting up a barrier to keep phoebes from nesting on a ledge on my porch, when the ladder collapsed underneath me. The aluminum leg literally bent as I was standing on it. I was on the second or third step (not sure) so not too high, but I was not able to catch myself, fell backwards, and hit my head on the porch. I know…. So scary. I did not lose consciousness but the sound was awful. My husband is away, so I was on my own. I lay on the porch saying out loud “you’re ok, you’re ok, you’re ok” for about five minutes. Other than two bruised fingers, a scraped elbow, and the head bonk I was okay.
I was at my son‘s house to babysit yesterday telling my DIL about it and she made me aware that I actually had a big bruise on my forehead. I thought I had landed on the back of my head but I guess not. I decided yesterday to go to urgent care and really lucked out on wait times - received excellent prompt care. They did a CAT scan and everything checked out fine. Maybe a mild concussion but as the provider said they wouldn’t know that from the cat scan. Lying on the table I was thinking of @Catscankim 😊. By the way how’s it going down there? Maybe you should move to New Hampshire. It’s lovely up here. 😄👍
I’m glad you’re ok. That’s a scary situation.

I’m so glad that you are okay. We have a “no ladders when home alone” rule in our house for the last few years.
I can understand that rule completely. One of our neighbours fell off a ladder while trimming his cedar hedge a couple of years ago. No one else was home, including neighbours. He did not survive.

@Vicki C that is so scary. I have had a backwards fall down a small set of stairs and that brief moment of falling I thought omg I can’t believe this is happening and this is going to hurt.

It did hurt a bunch. I’m glad you were able to get everything checked out and you’re ok.

Sooo glad you're fine...
I can relate as it happens to me last year: I fell backwards from a balcony onto concrete, heard that awfull sound, blood dripping (sorry for the image...) and stayed a long long time repeating the word "I hit my head" over and over. You must have been very scared; we don't want to hit our heads.
Did you have to stay for 4 hours after the scan ?
Take it easy for a few days and take care ! :)

@Vicki C so glad you are ok! I like the no ladders unless someone else is there. You could always ask your son or DIL to stop by when they have a chance. I'm sure they would rather do that than find you laying there later.
Witch Hazel helps make black and blue spots go away faster.
I had a concussion once and put natural peanut butter in the oven instead of the refrigerator and few other weird things. Phoebes are persistent!! Hope you aren't too sore your fall!

Sooo glad you're fine...
I can relate as it happens to me last year: I fell backwards from a balcony onto concrete, heard that awfull sound, blood dripping (sorry for the image...) and stayed a long long time repeating the word "I hit my head" over and over. You must have been very scared; we don't want to hit our heads.
Did you have to stay for 4 hours after the scan ?
Take it easy for a few days and take care ! :)
Oh my gosh Cecile. That sounds just awful. How interesting that we both had the instinct to talk out loud to ourselves in that way. I’m glad you were okay! I did not have to stay, the radiologist read the scan within a half hour and I was on my merry way.
@Vicki C that is so scary. I have had a backwards fall down a small set of stairs and that brief moment of falling I thought omg I can’t believe this is happening and this is going to hurt.

It did hurt a bunch. I’m glad you were able to get everything checked out and you’re ok.
“yes… there was that moment when I really thought “uh oh, this could be it…”
@Vicki C so glad you are ok! I like the no ladders unless someone else is there. You could always ask your son or DIL to stop by when they have a chance. I'm sure they would rather do that than find you laying there later.
Witch Hazel helps make black and blue spots go away faster.
I had a concussion once and put natural peanut butter in the oven instead of the refrigerator and few other weird things. Phoebes are persistent!! Hope you aren't too sore your fall!
oh I wish I could! They are an hour twenty away from me. I am still weirdly sore - I feel like i have been doing sit-ups which I clearly have not. 😄

I bet you won't be approaching a ladder soon, just as I'm keeping away from the edge of my balcony ... You may even "fear" ladders when you see them 😱 ! Glad we can laugh about it now 🙂🙂

Latest posts

Back