Lace Mats for CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madison

Reaction score
I have been looking around for a while for lace mats, or plastic laced table covers to use them in my CP molds, all I found is expensive, does anyone know a reasonable source to buy them?
Thank you

If you are in the US, you can get a silicone fondant mat at the big craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's. There is always a coupon for 40% off one item on their website, which can be used online or in the store. Amazon has quite a few. AliExpress also has a lot of them for super low prices, but you will have to wait awhile for shipping from China.

I've seen plastic lace placemats, table covers, and things like that in stores that serve Hispanic communities.

Expensive is a relative word, of course, but I have the same feeling about their average cost. Add to that, that most of the ones I have seen, I didn't like enough to pay half the asking price, let alone full price.

I did finally decide on one that I thought I might like to try with soap dough that I bought from Amazon for $14.00.

Another thought is oil cloth. I saw a video of a soaper who uses oil cloth to line her molds instead of constantly having to fold freezer paper. So I went to a store in search of some new oil cloth. Relatively, speaking, oil cloth is fairly inexpensive for use inside a soap mold. Some designs I looked at were embossed and would potentially give a nice design on the surface of the soap. The embossed ones were a bit more expensive per yard, but still less costly per square inch than the silicone mats.

I have not tried an embossed oil cloth as a mat for soap, but it might be worth looking into if you can find some in your area and you see a design you like. I am not sure if the design depth would be sufficient for what you want, but thought I'd mention the idea.

The oil cloth video I mentioned is in my Media album called DIY Soap Mold related Tutorials: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/media/albums/diy-soap-mold-related-tutorials.370/

If you are in the US, you can get a silicone fondant mat at the big craft stores like Hobby Lobby or Michael's. There is always a coupon for 40% off one item on their website, which can be used online or in the store. Amazon has quite a few. AliExpress also has a lot of them for super low prices, but you will have to wait awhile for shipping from China.

I live in a very small town with few stores, most of what we have here is very expensive, we have to drive +3.5h for shopping. Thank you for the good ideas, I'll put them on my list for out of town trip.

I've seen plastic lace placemats, table covers, and things like that in stores that serve Hispanic communities.

It will be a very good thing to find one of these stores around, thank you DeeAnna.

Expensive is a relative word, of course, but I have the same feeling about their average cost. Add to that, that most of the ones I have seen, I didn't like enough to pay half the asking price, let alone full price.

I did finally decide on one that I thought I might like to try with soap dough that I bought from Amazon for $14.00.

Another thought is oil cloth. I saw a video of a soaper who uses oil cloth to line her molds instead of constantly having to fold freezer paper. So I went to a store in search of some new oil cloth. Relatively, speaking, oil cloth is fairly inexpensive for use inside a soap mold. Some designs I looked at were embossed and would potentially give a nice design on the surface of the soap. The embossed ones were a bit more expensive per yard, but still less costly per square inch than the silicone mats.

I have not tried an embossed oil cloth as a mat for soap, but it might be worth looking into if you can find some in your area and you see a design you like. I am not sure if the design depth would be sufficient for what you want, but thought I'd mention the idea.

The oil cloth video I mentioned is in my Media album called DIY Soap Mold related Tutorials: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/media/albums/diy-soap-mold-related-tutorials.370/

Thank you earlene for the video and your help. Goods tend to be more expensive in my town due to the high shipping rates, but I'll look for oil cloth it should be more reasonable than lace mats.

As another idea, I was looking at the texture on my mat at my yoga class last night. When it needs to be replaced, this one is getting cut up to fit my molds. It has a snakeskin kind of texture to it.
Brilliant idea:thumbup:, I still have my old textured yoga mat. Thank you dibbles.

If you try it, post a picture or let us know how it works. I won't be replacing my current mat for awhile.
I have been using clear ribbed shelf liners or slightly textured in my pvc molds, I am looking for something with embossed textures to use in my slab mold and loaf molds. I have been trying things but not satisfied yet with the results.
Edited to mention that I just checked the old yoga mat I have in my garage, it's not the textured one I thought I have, I'll look for a nice one around. Thank you again for the idea.

Last edited:
Be careful, folks. I'm not sure what type of plastic a yoga mat is made from, but I do know some plastics don't play well with sodium hydroxide. Might want to look into this before you leap.

Be careful, folks. I'm not sure what type of plastic a yoga mat is made from, but I do know some plastics don't play well with sodium hydroxide. Might want to look into this before you leap.
Thank you DeeAnna for bringing this up, sure it's important to check.

Back