Labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good day, I am starting to make my labels, but unsure of exactly what I HAVE to put on the label. I know the oils, butters, EO/fragrance and weight needs to be on the labels. Do you also have to put the things like vit e, argan, black seed oil, what your super fat was, tussah silk, etc.

Good day, I am starting to make my labels, but unsure of exactly what I HAVE to put on the label. I know the oils, butters, EO/fragrance and weight needs to be on the labels. Do you also have to put the things like vit e, argan, black seed oil, what your super fat was, tussah silk, etc.
The correct answer will depend on the state and country where you live, plus any place where customers will buy your soap.

In the US, labeling rules are also affected by the claims you make, or don’t make, about your soap. If you claim anything more than, “it cleans,” you may have to label it according to cosmetic laws, or drug laws.

The go-to resource in the US is Marie Gale’s website as well as her book. She will help you understand the laws that apply to each category, as well as what words can and cannot be used for each labeling category. Don’t go by labels you may see on websites or at craft shows, since many MANY people violate these laws daily.

ETA: I just assumed you were talking about soap. Lotions and other products have different rules. Definitely check out Marie Gale’s website for all of that.

Latest posts

Back