Labelling Your Soaps_Do you put "best before" date?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tais

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am starting to get all the copies for my soap labels and it came to my mind if I should put a best before date on the label?

I am using only essential oils and I do know that the scent fades a bit over time.

Anyone puts a best before or something similar? Would love to know what you think :)

Thanks in advance!

I personally don't. It just so happens I got an email from a customer who bought some soap 4 years ago or so and forgot about them. Since there has been a shortage of soap due to COVID she came upon the 4 bars she had bought and wanted to thank me as they were still perfect and smelled great. I tell my customers my bars are good for at least a year or more depending on how they are stored. I have some of my first bars still hanging around from almost 10 years ago. The scent has faded but theya re still in great shape otherwise.

IMHO, putting an expiration or best buy date implies that your soap will become unusable after a certain amount of time. If you are worried about your scent fading...make smaller batches so you always have 'fresh' stock on hand.

I personally don't. It just so happens I got an email from a customer who bought some soap 4 years ago or so and forgot about them. Since there has been a shortage of soap due to COVID she came upon the 4 bars she had bought and wanted to thank me as they were still perfect and smelled great. I tell my customers my bars are good for at least a year or more depending on how they are stored. I have some of my first bars still hanging around from almost 10 years ago. The scent has faded but theya re still in great shape otherwise.
That is freaking amazing! I hope that I can create soap like that. Even though I am going to eventually sell my soap. My goal is to create something that I can be proud of.

My goal is to create something that I can be proud of.
That you can be??? umm, you SHOULD ALREADY BE proud of your soaps. They look amazing, and I'm sure they are great. :)

I agree with the others, I don't put a best buy date on mine. IMO soap is like a fine wine, if made properly, they only get better with time. It's a very rare occasion that I will use a soap that is less than at least 2 years old. Most are much older.
Really about the only time I don't use a soap that old is when I'm helping test for a friend.

That you can be??? umm, you SHOULD ALREADY BE proud of your soaps. They look amazing, and I'm sure they are great. :)

I agree with the others, I don't put a best buy date on mine. IMO soap is like a fine wine, if made properly, they only get better with time. It's a very rare occasion that I will use a soap that is less than at least 2 years old. Most are much older.
Really about the only time I don't use a soap that old is when I'm helping test for a friend.
Thank you and I am proud of my work. But it wouldn't have been possible without the support of each and every person who helped me. The incredible part of this forum is that members are willing to answer any questions. No matter how many times that exact question has already been answered. I think the most important question is probably the one that never gets asked.

Not sure what the regs state in Aus but as far as I know, in the uk you need to have a use by date shown on all products.

Hopefully one if the other Australian soapers will chip in shortly to advise more local regs.

In Australia you don’t need a best before date on soap you are selling.
I don’t put one on soaps I sell except if I’m giving castile to friends who I constantly supply because I want them to use the oldest one first from their stash.

Thank you :) I know my soaps last for at least two years, I think they will even last longer, but I never kept one for that long :) I've notice some soap have it and some don't, so knowing that customers contacted you is awesome to know! Thanks for your reply!!

IMHO, putting an expiration or best buy date implies that your soap will become unusable after a certain amount of time. If you are worried about your scent fading...make smaller batches so you always have 'fresh' stock on hand.
That is good to know, I was thinking put a best before, so customers know the best time frame to use their soaps and still have a strong scent in their soaps. Thanks for your reply!

In Australia you don’t need a best before date on soap you are selling.
I don’t put one on soaps I sell except if I’m giving castile to friends who I constantly supply because I want them to use the oldest one first from their stash.
Thank you :) I know you don't have to here but I was wondering how customers react to that, since I know colour and scent can fade with time. I think there is something I might have to decide :) Thanks for your reply!

Thank you :) I know you don't have to here but I was wondering how customers react to that, since I know colour and scent can fade with time. I think there is something I might have to decide :) Thanks for your reply!
I don't use colours or fragrances that fade. I find it really annoying when I've paid good money for a soap and the colour changes or the scent fades in a few weeks so I don't use EOs or colours that fade in soap I sell. I only use natural colours but only the ones that hold and I like my soap to cure for a long time and I think that is more important to my customers than using EOs that fade. I am personally allergic to a lot of EOs so I use FOs or no fragrance at all and my customers seem to like it.

But I am sure there is a niche out there for everyone!

I don't use colours or fragrances that fade. I find it really annoying when I've paid good money for a soap and the colour changes or the scent fades in a few weeks so I don't use EOs or colours that fade in soap I sell. I only use natural colours but only the ones that hold and I like my soap to cure for a long time and I think that is more important to my customers than using EOs that fade. I am personally allergic to a lot of EOs so I use FOs or no fragrance at all and my customers seem to like it.

But I am sure there is a niche out there for everyone!

It certainly is :) I am on the other end, I don't like fragrances hehehe but I don't mind them, I just find them too strong. I use mostly clays to colour my soaps, I like the feel it gives and some infused oils as well, and both of them can fade a bit if exposed to sun, like anything really I supposed :D

Each skin is different and can react to many thing. Eos can be tricky if people are not careful with their blends, people assume if it's natural it is safe, but they can be very harmful if not use properly. There is a lot of math and CoFA involved when I am creating a new blend, I thing that was another thing that got me into making soaps!! There is so much to like, isn't it?

Have a lovely week!

It certainly is :) I am on the other end, I don't like fragrances hehehe but I don't mind them, I just find them too strong. I use mostly clays to colour my soaps, I like the feel it gives and some infused oils as well, and both of them can fade a bit if exposed to sun, like anything really I supposed :D

Each skin is different and can react to many thing. Eos can be tricky if people are not careful with their blends, people assume if it's natural it is safe, but they can be very harmful if not use properly. There is a lot of math and CoFA involved when I am creating a new blend, I thing that was another thing that got me into making soaps!! There is so much to like, isn't it?

Have a lovely week!
I’m not aware of any clays that fade. Which ones are they?

I’m not aware of any clays that fade. Which ones are they?

Any soap that is exposed to sun light will fade a bit, not completely, but mine ones definitely do, maybe your clays are different ;) The reason I know that about my soaps is because when my soaps are curing at the rack, the front ones always look a bit lighter than the ones at the back ;)

Anyway, have a lovely week, we've been having awesome days in this winter :) all the best!

Latest posts

Back