labeling stearic acid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBot

Reaction score
Labeling question: let's say my recipe contains shea butter. Shea butter is high in stearic acid. If I also use straight stearic acid in my recipe, wouldn't it be kind of redundant to list "stearic acid" on the ingredients?

Would the source of the pure stearic acid matter (as long as it's still a vegetable source)? Is the stearic acid in shea butter any different on a chemical or molecular level from the purified stearic acid that comes from another vegetable source?

This is all theoretical, since I've never actually used pure stearic acid and I'm very careful about accurate labeling, but I'm still curious.

I don't know about other people, but I'd list my ingredients as what I physically put into the soap so if I had Shea and added Stearic, they would both appear in my ingredient list.

Palm also contains stearic along with other butters. You really need to label in descending order as Snappyllama mentioned. Most customers would not even know butters contain Stearic acid. What goes in the pot goes on the label or what comes out of the pot goes on the label.

Latest posts

Back