Labeling Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Krickett

Reaction score
Ok first I have sort of a comment. I have seen several recpies on this forum for bath salts and none use or have a preservative listed. My question is if I don't use one in my product could I possibly put like a warning or caution notice on the label? Like maybe Caution!! This product has no preservative in it and exposure to water could cause it to go bad. Or something along that line. Would it protect me if I sold a bath salt product and it was exposed to water and mold or mildew started to grow? In advance many Thanks for all the wonderful information this forum provides.

Krickett

Fist of all, recipes on this forum are not necessarily recipes suitable for selling and are meant to give people a place to start from; not to copy and sell.

Bacteria and fungi are not likely to live in a salty environment; salt absorbes moisture and acts as a natural preservative by preventing bacteria from reproduction.
There's no health hazard to using bath salt, so using a warning or caution stament would be inappropriate in my opinion.
Warnings and caution statements are meant for skin bleachers, sun tanning preperations, products in self-pressurized containers and products containing hazardous substances.

I do hope every seller begins with doing a lot of research and tests his/her products under all kinds of circumstances and for a considerable amount of time before selling...
That is the only way you can ensure a high quality product.

Some info on shelf life from the FDA (I suggest you start reading every bit of info you can at their website!)

Among other cosmetics that are likely to have an unusually short shelf life are certain "all natural" products that may contain plant-derived substances conducive to microbial growth. It also is important for consumers and manufacturers to consider the increased risk of contamination in products that contain non-traditional preservatives, or no preservatives at all.

Consumers should be aware that expiration dates are simply "rules of thumb," and that a product's safety may expire long before the expiration date if the product has not been properly stored. Cosmetics that have been improperly stored - for example, exposed to high temperatures or sunlight, or opened and examined by consumers prior to final sale - may deteriorate substantially before the expiration date. On the other hand, products stored under ideal conditions may be acceptable long after the expiration date has been reached.

I wouldn't put a Caution!! sticker.... but on the labeling you could point out that it is preservative free and best to be enjoyed within 6 months (or whatever) of opening it.

Thank You both very much for the replies. I have been dabbling (so to speak) with bath salts for a yr or so now. As of yet I havent sold them mostly just given them to family and close friends. The only ones I have made are just sea salt and epsom salts with some scent, once in a while a color but those take a bit to dry. The seem to have turned out good, the people who have recieved them came back for more and tried to buy them.
I would like to try to make some oatmeal and milk bath soaks, but as of yet havent. That is why I asked in a different post about powerded FO or EOs to add to those so they wouldnt be wet and clumpy from the scents. Does Honey powder have a scent? Anyone know? Anyway again Thanks so much for the information. Keep up all the good work this is an awsome and very informative forum.

Krickett

Krickett said:
Thank You both very much for the replies. I have been dabbling (so to speak) with bath salts for a yr or so now. As of yet I havent sold them mostly just given them to family and close friends. The only ones I have made are just sea salt and epsom salts with some scent, once in a while a color but those take a bit to dry. The seem to have turned out good, the people who have recieved them came back for more and tried to buy them.
I would like to try to make some oatmeal and milk bath soaks, but as of yet havent. That is why I asked in a different post about powerded FO or EOs to add to those so they wouldnt be wet and clumpy from the scents. Does Honey powder have a scent? Anyone know? Anyway again Thanks so much for the information. Keep up all the good work this is an awsome and very informative forum.

I make a sea salt and oat bran bath salt...so that the mixture doesn't clump, add your EOs (I recommend only using EOs, especially if you are not using preservatives, because quite a few of them have natural antimicorbial, antibacterial, and antioxidant properties whereas FOs do not) to a small amount of the total salt, mix well and allow this to cure in a closed container for several days, and then mix this portion in with the rest of your blend. Because EOs are oil-based, and not water-based, your salts shouldn't clump. They WILL cause your oats to clump, which is why I add them to the salt portion only. I hear that adding the EOs to dendritic salts (used at 10-20% of your total salt quantity) makes the fragrance last much longer, but have yet to try that.

Have fun, good luck!

Krickett

Back