Label Generator

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
On labeling...Do any of you guys have a spreadsheet (Vlookup?) or MS Access query that automatically converts common names into proper INCI labeling? I believer Soapmaker does it, butI’m surprised one or more of the recipe calculators doesn’t. If they do, I’ve missed it or am using the wrong calculator. I can build one that it creates a text box with all the ingredients in proper order, so all I have to do is copy/paste, but there’s no sense in reinventing the wheel of one of you ladies or gentlemen have it to share.

Can't help you with that, but did you know the FDA rules call for common names to be the primary name used in ingredients lists with INCI names as optional and secondary? Marie Gale discusses that here: https://www.mariegale.com/botanical-names-ingredient-declarations/

I realize that the common and INCI are the same in some instances, but not always. So it's "sunflower seed oil" or "sunflower (Helianthus Annus) Seed Oil" rather than "Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil"

Can't help you with that, but did you know the FDA rules call for common names to be the primary name used in ingredients lists with INCI names as optional and secondary? Marie Gale discusses that here: https://www.mariegale.com/botanical-names-ingredient-declarations/

I realize that the common and INCI are the same in some instances, but not always. So it's "sunflower seed oil" or "sunflower (Helianthus Annus) Seed Oil" rather than "Helianthus Annus (Sunflower) Seed Oil"
Thanks. I’ve never noticed that.

You can find the INCI names of SoapCalc, but it's not a label generator. After creating a recipe in SoapCalc and veiwing the recipe, there is a link to show you the INCI names. Here is an example as how they look in a totally random made-up recipe for demonstration purposes:

INCI names SoapCalc.JPG

You can copy & paste, but it doesn't give you an option to export to any kind of file as far as I can see.

This idea might be a good addition to the suggestions about the Soapmaking Friend calculator being developed here by/for SMF. Perhaps you'd like to make that suggestion over here: https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/my-calc-suggestion-for-the-future.74289/

I have suggested including INCI names the way soapcalc does, but your idea would expand on that, and make it even more useful. If not to create labels directly from the calculator, but to be able to export them into another file type, would certainly be nice for label making.

I have spreadsheets with vlookups, formulas, and use Access for queries, however, not for INCI names. The calculators I use actually do have the INCI names listed, but as earlene pointed out, they are not label generators. What I did back when I needed it, I just did a copy and past and used that for my labels (the calcs put the names in order of percentage used - it was super easy) and I sent it off to my label source for printing.

I can write an algorithm to populate a single text box listing the ingredients in the proper order. That way, all I’d have to do is a single copy/paste to get the ingredients on the label template.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back