La Vie en Rose

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I guess this one will be in honor of French singer Edith Piaf!

The layers have madder colorant used four ways in my vegan base, with two clay layers for color comparison. I adjusted the photo saturation and brightness slightly for the first photo in an attempt to get the colors close to how they look in daylight, but the bottom photo might actually be closer. The details of how I prepared each layer are here. The layering is rough and I ended up with air bubbles because the batter was close to soap on a stick stage when I put it in the mold, but I love the colors. The scent is Somali Rose from MMS. I’m not sure how to describe it but it’s soft, with a hint of rose, not at all overpowering.

The brightest pink layer, just below the white kaolin clay layer, is made with a madder powder tincture. I described how I made it in my madder thread. The bottom layer is BB’s rose clay for color comparison.

79107F74-545B-4DBD-BB55-CAF16DF4BA45.jpeg
95F1BF9C-6613-46BD-A2C6-C792E6B3331D.jpeg

I'm gonna have to take notes on that tincture coz I really like that shade of pink, the second layer, which is something considering I don't really like pink lol

Nice soap :)

I'm gonna have to take notes on that tincture coz I really like that shade of pink, the second layer, which is something considering I don't really like pink lol

Nice soap :)

Thanks Dawni! It’s nice to see you again :). I’m not a pink person either. In fact, when I tried to find some items around the house to use for the photo , I came up totally empty handed. I *might* have some pink fabric in my stash, but didn’t feel like digging around to find it. In the end, all I could come up with was an old white tablecloth. Although my existence is devoid of pink, my mom, step-mom, sisters, nieces, and SILs all love pink. I should probably just buy pink mica... :p

Thanks Dawni! It’s nice to see you again :). I’m not a pink person either. In fact, when I tried to find some items around the house to use for the photo , I came up totally empty handed. I *might* have some pink fabric in my stash, but didn’t feel like digging around to find it. In the end, all I could come up with was an old white tablecloth. Although my existence is devoid of pink, my mom, step-mom, sisters, nieces, and SILs all love pink. I should probably just buy pink mica... :p
Always good to see you :)

I was gifted some mica which includes a pink. I've reserved it for my mom n her friends lol

The layers have madder colorant used four ways in my vegan base, with two clay layers for color comparison. I adjusted the photo saturation and brightness slightly for the first photo in an attempt to get the colors close to how they look in daylight, but the bottom photo might actually be closer. The details of how I prepared each layer are here. The layering is rough and I ended up with air bubbles because the batter was close to soap on a stick stage when I put it in the mold, but I love the colors. The scent is Somali Rose from MMS. I’m not sure how to describe it but it’s soft, with a hint of rose, not at all overpowering.

The brightest pink layer, just below the white kaolin clay layer, is made with a madder powder tincture. I described how I made it in my madder thread. The bottom layer is BB’s rose clay for color comparison.

View attachment 39864 View attachment 39865
Beautiful!

I couldn't help replying to this old thread but;
This morning I purchased Edith Piaf's Cd and then - just now I came upon this thread:)
Kindred spirit or what?

Dear Mobjack Bay,
Your brightest pink layer made with the madder tincture is gorgeous! How does one create and use an alcohol based tincture in soaping? I thought alcohol in CP soap doesn’t work. Intrigued and encouraged by your soap!

Thanks @kaygrrl The original description of how I made the tincture is here. I soaked the madder powder in 50% isopropyl alcohol, but then evaporated the liquid off until the dye was very concentrated. I actually ended up with a gel-like substance. Although the colors held up reasonably well in the soap overall, the bright pink did fade some. There’s a photo here, but it’s not a very good one.

Thanks @Lynnz I‘ve never tried to reproduce that particular soap, but maybe I should. I liked the variations in colors and speckling.

Back