Ktc pomice oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pepsiandjac

Reaction score
0FB2CEC6-6751-4B1C-8DF4-9C59CF386B31.png
I bought this oil yesterday and was reading the ingredients and it’s pomice oil blend,
Half olive and half rapeseed,will that make much difference to soap.
Also it says it has an anti foaming ingredient which I shouldn’t think would be a good additive for soap lol

When you put it in soap calc put the amount you want to use in total as 52% pomace and 48% canola. I don’t think the antifoaming agent will hurt soap that much.

The canola might have a tendency towards DOS.
I don’t use pomace but some people do.

...52% pomace and 48% canola. I don’t think the antifoaming agent will hurt soap that much.
I agree with PJ about the antifoaming agent. The 0.01% is so low you can ignore it. However, if you use this calculator, it has "rapeseed oil, unrefined" listed... which is more likely what you have in that blend... and better for soaping than canola which stands for "Canadian Oil Low Acid". Canola was developed for lowering cholesterol in cooking, and better taste (hence, "low acid") in food, from 14 different types of rapeseed oil available in Canada at the time. (Just a tiny bit of soaping trivia to brighten your day.)

Last edited:
When you put it in soap calc put the amount you want to use in total as 52% pomace and 48% canola. I don’t think the antifoaming agent will hurt soap that much.

The canola might have a tendency towards DOS.
I don’t use pomace but some people do.
Yeah I think I’ll keep it for emergency’s,lol,

I agree with PJ about the antifoaming agent. The 0.01% is so low you can ignore it. However, if you use this calculator, it has "rapeseed oil, unrefined" listed... which is more likely what you have in that blend... and better for soaping than canola which stands for "Canadian Oil Low Acid". Canola was developed for lowering cholesterol in cooking, and better taste (hence, "low acid") in food, from 14 different types of rapeseed oil available in Canada at the time. (Just a tiny bit of soaping trivia to brighten your day.)
Thanks I needed that lol

Just use canola or pomace for sap, they are almost identical for the average sap value. It is not worth the trouble of splitting it in a calculator. For labeling you would list both.

As for the anti foaming agent it will not affect your soap. Lard, shortenings etc almost all contain anti foaming agents.

Although I now use Canola HO, for years I used regular canola with not dos issues. On Millersoaps site there are recipes for Canolive soaps which is what got me started using canola oil when I first started soaping. Love those soaps. I tested the Canolive 11 soap for over a year using it and letting it sit to dry in between so water sat on it for awhile, the soap never had any sign of dos

ETA link http://www.millersoap.com/soapallveg.html#CanoliveII
your oil blend would work perfectly

Just use canola or pomace for sap, they are almost identical for the average sap value. It is not worth the trouble of splitting it in a calculator. For labeling you would list both.

As for the anti foaming agent it will not affect your soap. Lard, shortenings etc almost all contain anti foaming agents.

Although I now use Canola HO, for years I used regular canola with not dos issues. On Millersoaps site there are recipes for Canolive soaps which is what got me started using canola oil when I first started soaping. Love those soaps. I tested the Canolive 11 soap for over a year using it and letting it sit to dry in between so water sat on it for awhile, the soap never had any sign of dos

ETA link http://www.millersoap.com/soapallveg.html#CanoliveII
your oil blend would work perfectly
Thankyou,I’ll give it a try now,after some of the disasters I’ve had,Orange spots will be the least of my worries

If you have an accurate scale go with around a 3% superfat, or do not go over 5% superfat. I superfat in the 1-3% range, depending on my recipe, other than salt bars.
Now I saw this comment,I only did a 5 super fat,and it got really thick ,really quick lol.
Does anyone else have trouble with the mica turning a different colour

Latest posts

Back