Kombucha Soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Debi

Reaction score
Just a quick question, for all of you soaping wizards! If I want to add scoby puree to my batch would I discount the water for the same amount? Thanks so much!

I'm not sure what the scoby puree would add? It's essentially a mushroom. ☺ the Kombucha itself would probably be better because it would have sugar. I'm interested in your results if you do it!

I'm not sure what the scoby puree would add? It's essentially a mushroom. ☺ the Kombucha itself would probably be better because it would have sugar. I'm interested in your results if you do it!

A SCOBY is a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast not a mushroom. I hope the clarification doesn't offend, I love ferments and mushrooms -- it's a slight obsession of mine. I've been thinking about making kombucha soap for a while bust still haven't. I was thinking of going with water replacement with kombucha rather than using the scoby. It's acidic, so I was thinking of doing a very low SF assuming that some of the kombucha will neutralize some of the lye. If I get around to doing it I'll post my results.

Well I did make a 2 lb loaf yesterday of Hibiscus Kombucha soap. Wow, this is only my 3rd batch of soap and I think that it turned out beautiful. I am waiting to take it out of the mold, it was poured yesterday at 2:00 PST. I checked it this am and it looks beautiful. So here was the experience, I did a CP of the following; 20% CO, 25% Lard, 10% AO, 10% Avocado Butter, 30% Canola Oil, 5% Castor with 38% Water and a SF of 7%. My skin is suffering from the effects of Chemo so I want a conditioning soap. I used my Kombucha at 60% of my water it was a strong vinegary brew, next time I will use it at 100%. I was scared to use 100% lol, I added 2 tsp salt to the water, I mixed the lye in a ice bath. I soaped at 90 degrees. My batch never went over 98 degrees in the pot, I have no clue what happened in the mold, I was trying to preserve all that Kombucha goodness, lol. Knowing that the kombucha would turn brown I added red rose clay for color. It was slow to trace, but at trace I added my EO. When I poured it was the most delicious looking butterscotch color hoping it does not morph. I will post a picture with the cut when that happens I kinda think from just the feel of it this am, that it might stay in the mold another day, will wait to see! Thanks to everyone here for their advice and support. So glad that I found you! Happy soaping! :)

Well, I just could not wait to cut it! It came out just beautiful I think, so I will be making more of this that is for certain. :mrgreen:

Soap 002.jpg

A SCOBY is a symbiotic colony of bacteria and yeast not a mushroom. I hope the clarification doesn't offend, I love ferments and mushrooms -- it's a slight obsession of mine. I've been thinking about making kombucha soap for a while bust still haven't. I was thinking of going with water replacement with kombucha rather than using the scoby. It's acidic, so I was thinking of doing a very low SF assuming that some of the kombucha will neutralize some of the lye. If I get around to doing it I'll post my results.
I am aware, no offense taken. :) I've been making Kombucha and Jun for years. (as well as sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, beet kaffir etc, I think we need a thread!).
I'm also a bit of a science geek and have taught botany, ecology and non vascular plant classes while finishing my Masters degree.

Yeast is biologically a Fungi (which is essentially a mushroom in layman terms). The point I was trying to make was that it doesn't contain sugars itself so I wasn't sure what benefit it would add to your soap.

I think my favourite part of brewing your own booch is getting people to try the yummy Kombucha, then showing them the scoby in action and seeing the look on their faces.

uploadfromtaptalk1458020487413.jpg

Back