Kombucha Scoby

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Junes_Pocket

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I've been making soap a couple of years but still consider myself a newbie as I only do it as a hobby, only when I have time.

I know there are a few threads in here touching on Kombucha but I was hoping that someone this time may read this who has been making Kombucha soap.

I brew my own Kombucha and I'm really interested in trying a batch using it.

Also I was thinking if anyone has tried blending up a Scoby and adding it to the soap at trace, I was wondering if that might really let some of the benefits survive the process.

I admit the chemistry isn't the angle of soap making I have tried to grasp at this point, I currently just depend on people like yourselves who are much more smarter than me at understanding the science behind it. So I am nervous about trying vinegar in place of my water and at the trace using the Scoby.

I wonder if Kombucha even makes a difference in the soap. I love essential oils but I refrain from using them in soap (I have tried them in a few batches) also since I don't fully believe they make it through either.

I recently tried a soap with Kombucha and found absolutely no difference in the soap. I do not know a lot about Kombucha but I do know the basics and I personally would not add the Scoby at trace. Live bacteria is not something I am going to introduce into my soap.
Surely DeeAnna or someone more knowledgeable on the topic of Kombucha will chime in.

Last edited:
I have made soap with it, but would not blend up a scoby and add it to my soap. I don't believe adding anything at trace will help survive the lye. I don't think the scoby is a great idea for soap or b&b. Arguably the organic acids in kombucha may be of some benefit in soap (I am not arguing that that's the case), but bacteria and yeast, "beneficial" or not, is not something I would try to preserve in soap form.

Thanks, I am one of those over-doers and I'm trying to teach myself moderation lol. Just because Kombucha is a healthy drink and I have witnessed treating my nearly dead kitten by feeding him bits of Scoby become completely revived in a few days time, doesn't mean it's good for everything, every time. lol. So it's nice to hear different thoughts on this...

Back